Nankang AR 1

The Nankang AR 1 is a Trackday and Competition Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 18 tyre reviews averaging 79% over 49,591 miles driven.

Sorry, we don't currently have any magazine tyre tests for the Nankang AR 1
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Nankang AR 1

Questions and Answers for the Nankang AR 1

2019-09-27 - It would be great to have a big review on track tyres with this tyre + all other semi slicks/track tyres like the Michelin PS Cup 2, Toyo R888, Federals and so on!

Definitely working on it!

Top Nankang AR 1 Review

Given 73% while driving a BMW M3 (265/35 R18) on track for 150 spirited miles
I got a set of four 265/35/18 tyres for track use and first got a chance to test them last week at Bedford on the GT Circuit. It was my first time on track tyres and since my last track day, I'd also got HSD Monopro coilovers, with professional geometry, corner weighting, and a full alignment.

To say that the new setup made a difference would be the understatement of the century. I'm glad I have bucket seats, as otherwise I'd have fallen off my seat round every corner. The tyres felt predictable, gave good feedback, and were quite progressive on the limit. While learning the circuit and getting the feel for the limit, I went sideways quite a lot, and it was FUN! However, I didn't but these to go sideways, obviously, I wanted to be fast. During the whole track day, the only car to pass me was another e46 M3, which was fully track prepped, stripped to the shell with a cage, Nitron coilvers, BBK, and Toyo R888R tyres. He was 3 seconds a lap quicker than my 2min : 52sec best.

I'll definitely buy these again when the time comes.
76 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2016

Latest Nankang AR 1 Reviews

Have you driven on the Nankang AR 1 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the AR 1.

Given 76% while driving a Subaru Impreza WRX STI (225/45 R17) on track for 200 miles
Very strong grip, one of the best semi-slick tire on the market I ‘ve tried (dry road)
Take one turn to warm it
Use at 29 psi hot tire pressure
I recommend it for sure and I will buy it again

Didn’t try on the wet but I won’t recommend
0 - tyre reviewed on November 3, 2019
Given 70% while driving a Datsun 180B (225/45 R17) on for 5 average miles
Loved these tyres on the dry racetrack. Grip, wear and speed were good. But...It started to shower for a short time, as I rolled out for the last race. After four 180-360 degree violent spin-outs mid-corner during 3 laps, I retired vowing not to do that again. Only going 3/4 speed and with absolutely no warning. Talked to my retailer next day about the weird tread pattern which seems to push water towards the centre of one front tyre. Tyres are identical with "outside " written on one side... which causes one tread to be opposite of the other ie the "V" pointing backwards on one of them. He too was befuddled. The Nankang rep just said to us what I knew already... "they are good in the dry... and not so good in the wet" sigh
1 - tyre reviewed on August 15, 2019
Given 50% while driving a Lotus Elan S2 (225/60 R13) on a combination of roads for 240 spirited miles
Sidewalls are sponge, inaccurate tactile grip sensing due to excessive sidewall flex at any pressures.
20 - tyre reviewed on May 18, 2019
Given 83% while driving a Suzuki swift sport (225/45 R17) on track for 200 spirited miles
I thing that these tires are the best semi for dry tarmac. The fastest tire for someone who wants to use these in small wheels. I use 15'' wheels.
2 - tyre reviewed on April 4, 2019
Given 34% while driving a Toyota GT86 (265/35 R18 W) on track for 200 spirited miles
Very surprised to see so many positive reviews. I mean, yeah it's cheap, so I understand the good rating, considering the aspect of bang for buck. But some reviews stated it's a superb tire in absolute terms. IMHO, it isn't. It's a cheap and slow tire, not a cheap and A050 fast tire.

I've never managed to get a close time to A050 GS with this tire. It's not even in the same league, since it was always slower A052 by a good margin. It's more like a RE-71R class tire in terms of lap time on proper tracks, and it's not even one of the fast tire in that group too (it's one of the slow one)! So you can't really expect to get some lap times of proper semi slicks (like A050, 03g). Also, this tire is very heavy in all sizes (which may explain why it's so slow). There are only two good things about this tire in absolute term I can think of, which are its price and sidewall strength.

These are very cheap in Japan (less than half of RE-71R or less than 1/3 of A052), so it makes sense in Japan (or anywhere else with that big difference in the price tag). However, in some countries, AR-1 is priced pretty close to RE-71R or ZIII (or slightly pricier than R-S4). In that case, I think the tire makes no sense to buy these tire, since it effectively becomes a slower AND more expensive AND shorter life tire. If it's dirt cheap, adjust your expectation and you'll be fine.
21 - tyre reviewed on February 7, 2019