Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R

The Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R is a Trackday and Competition Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

Tyre review data from 27 tyre reviews averaging 85% over 110,005 miles driven.

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 Track Day Tyre Test - 4th of 5 tyres

• Positive - Well balanced in the wet making the car easy to drive.
  • Negative - Slow steering in the dry, long wet braking distances.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R Review

Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru Impreza WRX (215/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 spirited miles
I'd heard a lot of good things about these tyres, and everyone was right. I will never be buying any other tyre for any sports car I own! The grip in the dry, mixed with the AWD from my Impreza is unbeatable, and it grips just as well in the wet, giving me massive confidence in the corners. They still look new after 2000 miles of use and aren't any louder than other tyres I've used. They are a premium brand tyre but don't cost as much as other makes, which is a bonus. Would highly recommend to anyone.
93 - tyre reviewed on April 21, 2016

Latest Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R Reviews

Have you driven on the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08R tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the ADVAN Neova AD08R.

Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Alfa Romeo 4C (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
I have a Alfa Romeo 4C with factory fitted Pirelli P Zero tyres. 18 inch in front, 19 inch at the back. I'm not the biggest fan of this tyres. Probably they are great in Italy with warm weather, but the P Zero's just don't work in a cold climate. They are harsh, don't give a lot of feedback and aren't as grippy as I wanted.

So I bought this Yoko's. Well, what can I say? This tyres are just out of this world! WHAT-A-GRIP! I can do launch controles without wheelspin, with my tuned and lightweight 4C. I also already drove it in the rain and they are much grippier than the Pirelli's to in that conditions. I do have to mention that the Pirelli's were almost gone in the back, so that also should have to do something with it.

This tyres are quite loud. But, living with a 4C that is your least concert. It really is a tyre that makes a sportier car even better. The steering feel and front grip is just so insanely good. It maked the car a even bigger joy to drive. Congrats to Yokohama: this is the best tyre I have ever had. Hands down!
1 - tyre reviewed on April 3, 2018
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Lotus Elise (205/45 R16) on track for 1,000 spirited miles
I run these tires on an Elise S in 205/45/16 front and 235/40/17 rear. I replaced the original AD07LTS with them for track use as I found the original tire to underperform in corner entry. I bought the AD08R as they are priced and positioned as a street tire and at that time I was not so sure about how much track work they will get. I ended up using them as my track day tire.
The tire is run on whole day events with 30 to 45 min sprints, 30 to 45 min pause, then sprint then pause etc.
When cold the tire slides along quite heavily and it takes longer than others to warm up on my light car. This can be totally different on heavier cars. Normally I need 20 min to leave the track first time for pressure adjustments. I run 1.9 bar front and 2.1 rear hot, also used 1.8 front and 2.0 rear lately which seems to work a little better.
Once hot, the tire performs really well for a street tire. Biggest point on my car is that I can brake much later than friends on Federal 595 rs-r or Toyo r1r or other sport street tires. When reaching the limit the car is very communicative and slides progressively. I never had any nasty surprises.
In the wet for the race track the tire is really bad in my impression as a driver, even though others were surprised how fast the car still goes given the little negative profile of the tire. But the car was definitely no fun anymore in the wet, constantly managing understeer and oversteer it was quite hectic.

My biggest concern over the tire is that they eventually start overheating in the afternoon sessions if a high pace is keeped up for the day. This leaves the car sliding around, however this is still progressive and very manageable but leaves the impression that best laptimes are lost because the peak performance of the tire already left when the peak performance of the driver arrives. For that reason I will switch to a semi slick for pure trackwork.

On the Elise the tire lasts quite long, a front tire lasting twice as long as a rear.

Pro:
Communicative
Progressive
Great dry grip
Performs better than your average sporty street tire, but of course it can not reach a semi slick
Lasts surprisingly long

Contra:
Sketchy when cold
Sketchy when hot
Bad on track when wet (acceptable for the street though as you one does not drive nearly as aggressive on the street)

Buy when:
You need a sporty street tire that can keep up on the occasional track day
Do not buy when:
You need a tire purely for track work
6 - tyre reviewed on March 15, 2018
Fancy winning a set of 4 tyres, fully fitted? Click below and enter!
Given 67% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota 86 GT (225/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 1,000 spirited miles
Tyres have great grip, but completely ruined turn in to corners. Car has lost that go-cart feel, much heavier to turn, very vague in the front end. Shoiuld have stayed with the P-zero's.
13 - tyre reviewed on November 29, 2017
Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 (235/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
I have them on my 400hp Evo IX. I did trackdays, city driving, road trips, driven on the wet, even a 2km drive on snow to the tire shop last winter to change the wheels. So I know how they perform all round. And I can say they are great tires!!!! The grip is incredible. On track, warmed up, and with about 1.4 bar hot pressure they grip amazing, and also when the grip finally ends they are very predictable. In fact that is very good, that even on the edge, even when you entered a corner 50% faster than you knew it was sensible, they are predictable, they don't suddently give up on traction. Even on wet roads, they aren't that bad, of course there is acvaplaning, and some understear if you push them on wet roads, but it is progressive, it happens in a predictable way. I have participated at about 10 trackdays in the last 3 years since I have them, I have also used them on public roads, for city and road trips, for a total of I would say about 15.000kms. They still have tread left, I think They would last me also next season. Definetly buying them again!
1 - tyre reviewed on November 2, 2017
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a MG MGF (205/55 R15 V) on mostly country roads for 8,000 spirited miles
The MGF is picky when it comes to tyres and tyre sizes. Therefore to be specific:
2x Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R 195/50 R15 82V
2x Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R 205/50 R15 86V
that replaced (the by many beloved... as long as the road was bone dry) Toyo TR 1 185/55 R15 / 205/50 R15's. The Toyo's were a good summer tyre but squirmy in the wet and the limit of cornering speeds wasn't much higher that say a VW Golf before things got "interesting".

Despite the concerns of Rover MG of under steer with 195/50 in the front I decided to risk it (185/50 R15 being almost impossible to get these days). The tread pattern is more of a racing tyre than your standard V tread (Toyo TR1). This means 1. huge blocks of road gripping rubber, 2. a much more rigid (stable feeling) tyre and 3. a very unique look to the car. Under steer has never been an issue and I've had a lot less over steer than I did with the Toyo TR1's and factory Goodyear tyres (so many years ago).

Cornering speeds: 90 degree unbanked turn = 60 to 70km/h
Swerving between cars / obstacles speed: 80 to 100 km/h
Burnout minimum revs: 4000 rpm (TOYO 3000 rpm)

This is a tyre you want to drive hard. Arrive home after "a bit of fun" and you'll smell the rubber. Extremely stable with plenty of grip on dry surfaces, and less tread wear / sidewall deterioration than the Toyo TR1 after 2 summers (which needed balancing every year). Breaking feels more controlled and changing gears at high revs will actually surge the car forward.

Here we have roads with traffic obstacles in the centre of the road that cover only half the lane in concrete paving stones. The AD08R will actually pull the steering wheel towards the centre line because of the grip (unlike the Pirelli, Toyo or Michelin I've had on other cars on this road). Response / feedback from changing surface conditions / quality is incredibly clear.

I'm supposed to mention comfort as well: if you want to know about comfort, buy a French car and move to a retirement home, and don't be surprised when an MGF overtakes you for being old.

If you're going to invest in your MGF as a true British performance sports car, these are about as good as you can get to performance summer tyres without having your own pit crew changing from racing slicks to treads every time it rains. That is, until Yokohama bring out their replacement for the AD08R.
1 - tyre reviewed on October 6, 2017