Nokian WR D4

The Nokian WR D4 is a Premium Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Nokian WR D3

Tyre review data from 41 tyre reviews averaging 79% over 194,416 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 AC Winter Tyre Test - 185/65 R15 - 1st of 8 tyres

• Positive - Very strong in the dry with a balanced performance across the other tests.
  • Negative - Average ice grip.

2016 AMS Winter SUV Tyre Test - 2nd of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good results in the snow, high resistance to aquaplaning
  • Negative - Slightly slower steering response

2016 Auto Express Winter Tyre Test - 2nd of 8 tyres

• Overall - Like the test winning Continental, the Nokian WR D4 excelled in almost every test. It had the strongest snow braking and traction results, finished third and fifth in wet braking and handling tests, won dry braking and was within 1% of the best in dry handling. The main weakness of the Nokian was the rolling resistance, where it finished last, a full 15% behind the best in test.
205/60 R16 86H XL   B A 69
225/45 R17 94H XL   C A 69
225/40 R18 92V XL
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Nokian WR D4. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Nokian WR D4 Review

Given 66% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Leon (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 easy going miles
As for grip, fantastic tyres, I am however disappointed with the wear. I use winter tyres all year round and I have found these tyres are starting to break down around the edges of the tread. The sipes are delaminating and falling off in chunks around the edges of my front wheels.
They are fuel efficient and quiet, but the wear is terrible. Wouldn't buy them again Because of wear.
126 - tyre reviewed on August 6, 2016

Latest Nokian WR D4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Nokian WR D4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the WR D4.

Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Yeti (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 20,000 average miles
20,000 miles in on my Skoda Yeti. Tyres are half way through wear.

I've driven with the WR D3 before so have not be surprised about how good these WR D4 tyres are in the snow. Frankly, I wouldn't trust any other tyre to get me around in winter. My Yeti is 2WD but with these tyres I've no problem getting over the Cockbridge to Tomintoul road throughout winter (the road in the Scottish Highlands that you always hear about being blocked on Radio 2!). The grip is fine on dry and wet roads but I tend not to drive quickly in winter anyway so I am unable to advise what these would be like at the limit, but they feel confidence inspiring and a strong tyre. They are also good in modest mud and slush (I visit farms as part of my work and have never lost traction / got stuck). I had Goodyear Ultragrips on once - never again, they were so soft and 'squidgy' feeling and dreadful in the snow - maybe ok if all you want is a winter tyre for that one day of snow in a milder area of the country. I also had Vredestien Wintrac Extremes once, tbh they seemed pretty good, but the Nokian definitely have the edge on snow-grip.

Downsides? Noise. On some surfaces they can be quite noisy, but during winter I am happy for this trade-off given their superb grip in snow.

So, if you regularly drive on snow / slushy mud then these are the best tyres I have ever used.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 11, 2018
Given 60% (breakdown) while driving a Opel Astra J Sports Tourer (205/60 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,000 average miles
This is my second review on these tyres. Although it is most important how well do they handle snow (and they are not so bad on snow) the wear is terrible. Huge chunks are falling off after just two winters. Mileage I did was low. As long as they are turning you feel secure on snow, but as soon as you lock them (even when you actually completely stopped on a incline!), they slide out of control. Twice there was real drama as they couldn't cope with small incline.
Mine were made in Russia. Took them back to seller, hoping that warranty covers excessive rubber tear.
1 - tyre reviewed on January 25, 2018
Given 80% (breakdown) while driving a Opel Astra J 1.4 turbo (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 300 spirited miles
To get an idea, we use the Nokian Winter tires on our rentok Rentok Craiova car rental https://www.rentok.ro and I went for sure with these tires. There are some even better Nokian models, and therefore more expensive, but these have so far been more than enough for our roads and our climate.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 27, 2017
Given 61% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C4 (205/55 R16 H) on mostly country roads for 1,000 easy going miles
Still waiting for the snow but my initial feel is like I am disapointed.
These tyres are ment for cold climate. They don't feel good with temperatures above zero degree Celsius. If you push them slightly harder on dry roads they will easily loose grip without any feedback.
Lets hope they perform well on snow and ice.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 24, 2017
Given 69% (breakdown) while driving a Peugeot 3008 (225/50 R17) on mostly motorways for 13,000 spirited miles
Let`s start with the good things- these tires are excellent in wet snow mash on highways, the confidence they offer when driving in these conditions are not easy to match. On dry and just wet they are sort of Ok if not pushed too far, noise level is low and comfort is good.
The main problem with these is how little they last, wear is horrible even on the rear axle of front wheel driven car. They lose more than half of they thread depth in, like, 11000 miles and thats mostly motorway driving (temperatures around 0 degree Celsius, 55-60 mph, two or three persons in car, little-to-no luggage, wet or mildly frozen pavement). Threw them away with around 3mm of thread left, were THAT disappointed. Would consider to by some Nokians again only if move somewhere with harsh winter conditions.
0 - tyre reviewed on December 23, 2017