Nokian WR D4

Nokian WR D4

The Nokian WR D4 is a Premium Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Nokian WR D3

Tyre review data from 27 tyre reviews averaging 82% over 104,616 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2016 AZ Winter Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 - 2nd of 14 tyres

• Positive - Good handling on snow, short braking distances on wet surfaces, the shortest braking distance on dry roads (other than CrossClimate), predictable behavior on dry roads, low rolling resistance
  • Negative - Average wet handling

2016 AMS Winter SUV Tyre Test - 2nd of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good results in the snow, high resistance to aquaplaning
  • Negative - Slightly slower steering response

2016 Auto Express Winter Tyre Test - 2nd of 8 tyres

• Overall - Like the test winning Continental, the Nokian WR D4 excelled in almost every test. It had the strongest snow braking and traction results, finished third and fifth in wet braking and handling tests, won dry braking and was within 1% of the best in dry handling. The main weakness of the Nokian was the rolling resistance, where it finished last, a full 15% behind the best in test.
205/60 R16 86H XL   B A 69
225/45 R17 94H XL   C A 69
225/40 R18 92V XL
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Nokian WR D4. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Nokian WR D4 Review

Given 66% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Leon (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 easy going miles
As for grip, fantastic tyres, I am however disappointed with the wear. I use winter tyres all year round and I have found these tyres are starting to break down around the edges of the tread. The sipes are delaminating and falling off in chunks around the edges of my front wheels.
They are fuel efficient and quiet, but the wear is terrible. Wouldn't buy them again Because of wear.
57 - tyre reviewed on August 6, 2016

Latest Nokian WR D4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Nokian WR D4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the WR D4.

Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Modus 1.5Dci Authentique (185/60 R15) on a combination of roads for 25,000 average miles
Used them for about 40k km (25k miles). Still have 6mm thread on 2 tires, and 4mm on the other 2.
They are excellent tires in cold weather, and downright fantastic on snow and wet roads.
They are silent, and with good fuel efficiency.
Feedback isn't that great (although they do inspire confidence), and wear is just average.
Great tires overall!
0 - tyre reviewed on March 28, 2017
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Renault Sport Megane 225 (195/65 R15) on mostly town for 0 average miles
To be honest I was really impressed until breaking on icy road. It was somewhere at mid January this year, road was dry but while I was at the end of a secondary road there was a 10 maybe 12 meters long icy road. I almos crack myself because I try to give way for the cars on the main road ( it was night time) I hit the breaks but no ABS was entering and tires were struggling to get a grip. Luckily I was doing 25 maybe 30 kph found myself on the first lane perpendicularly to the opposite traffic. No car was coming and I make the day.
Should I buy them again ? Guess no. Interesting TWI though.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 24, 2017
Given 69% (breakdown) while driving a Fiat Barchetta (195/55 R15 V) on mostly country roads for 12,000 spirited miles
I am about to finish my second winter. 20k km completed. Much better than previous model but not perfect. Mich cheapee than the continental winter contact so shoild be expected.
The only issue for me is the wet grip. Snow grip though is excellent as is stopping in dry and snowy conditions.
0 - tyre reviewed on March 18, 2017
Given 74% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 325i (225/45 R17 H) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
These tyres are really quite good for handling for a winter tyre in wet and dry. I have never driven them in show, so no comments there. They are very comfortable but are dim witted in terms of steering feedback (much as you would expect from a winter tyre).

I live in the SE of the UK and it has been rather dry the past couple of winters. I fitted them to my car for the first time last winter for 2 months, probably traveled under 2,000 miles and it scrubbed off 1mm in that time on the driven tyres. Rotated, they should last 4 winter seasons. For their price, it is pretty good value IMO.
0 - tyre reviewed on February 6, 2017