Nokian WR D4

Nokian WR D4

The Nokian WR D4 is a Premium Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Nokian WR D3

Tyre review data from 19 tyre reviews averaging 84% over 64,096 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2016 AZ Winter Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 - 2nd of 14 tyres

• Positive - Good handling on snow, short braking distances on wet surfaces, the shortest braking distance on dry roads (other than CrossClimate), predictable behavior on dry roads, low rolling resistance
  • Negative - Average wet handling

2016 AMS Winter SUV Tyre Test - 2nd of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good results in the snow, high resistance to aquaplaning
  • Negative - Slightly slower steering response

2016 Auto Express Winter Tyre Test - 2nd of 8 tyres

• Overall - Like the test winning Continental, the Nokian WR D4 excelled in almost every test. It had the strongest snow braking and traction results, finished third and fifth in wet braking and handling tests, won dry braking and was within 1% of the best in dry handling. The main weakness of the Nokian was the rolling resistance, where it finished last, a full 15% behind the best in test.
205/60 R16 86H XL   B A 69
225/45 R17 94H XL   C A 69
225/40 R18 92V XL
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Nokian WR D4. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Nokian WR D4 Review

Given 66% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Leon (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 easy going miles
As for grip, fantastic tyres, I am however disappointed with the wear. I use winter tyres all year round and I have found these tyres are starting to break down around the edges of the tread. The sipes are delaminating and falling off in chunks around the edges of my front wheels.
They are fuel efficient and quiet, but the wear is terrible. Wouldn't buy them again Because of wear.
53 - tyre reviewed on August 6, 2016

Latest Nokian WR D4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Nokian WR D4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the WR D4.

Audi (225/60 R16 V) on mostly town for 10 spirited miles
I have just bought these tires and those 100-200 miles hadn't pass yet so not 100 % performance BUT they are incredible !!!! It is unimaginable how these tires behave in the snow. I have to push it really hard to get those protection systems to enable (ABS ESP) . I have a 2013 Audi A6 front wheel drive 177HP and I have pushed it hard on thin snow with very impressive grip and break !!!! Would never change them for anything else. The only tire that comes to mind for replacement would be Continental TS860 but those are not available on my "flavor" (225/60/R16). Those were 99% alternative for this Nokian WR D4, but for the price difference I think they dont worth it !

I have no data for the Wear factor, but I will only have them for 2 months or so then go back to summer tires so they wont have the time to wear.....

It has been heavy snowing last night . Over 10cm of snow here. I cant wait to go out and ... "PLAY" :) Good luck to you all !! Congrats to NOKIAN !!!
0 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2017
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 3 series (205/60 R16) on a combination of roads for 200 average miles
Put these on my BMW last week and initially i was very concerned with how "slippy" the tyres felt but after reading some articles on the web regarding releasing agents that some Tyre manufacturers use i thought i would reserve judgment until i had "brushed" them in after driving on them for a few hundred miles or so first.

after 180 miles done i can say that the grip and drive is much improved . cornering seems assured in the wet and dry now . Grip has been good on icy roads in the morning and evening . Now just. waiting for the first snow to test .
oh and also , i think my fuel mileage has also improved.
Decided on these as i needled run flat winter tryres and this was the newest tyre available . If the Conti TS860 was available in run flat versions i think i would have chosen that one to be honest but these were well priced.
5 - tyre reviewed on December 5, 2016
Given 69% (breakdown) while driving a Vauxhall Corsa D (185/65 R15 H) on mostly town for 6,000 spirited miles
This is the second year for these tyres. Last year I did about 4000 miles on them, and the fronts were down to 5mm tread (3mm worn off). This year, those tyres are on the back and the fresher ones are on the front. At this rate they'll be done after their 4th year.

Generally, they're fine. Wet grip isn't great, on smooth city streets I can easily lose grip taking off from traffic lights, or accelerating while turning. Nipping out of a junction isn't a sure thing compared to the summer tyres. Braking is just OK. My car isn't the highest performing car in the world, (only 100hp 1.4 so not much torque and long fuel-economy gearing). I think these tyres wouldn't suit anything with more power.

Comfort is OK, similar to the Kumho EcoWing 195/55/16 tyres fitted to my summer wheels, much better than the Continentals the car came with which were like rocks.

I think if I were buying again, I'd give them a miss and go for the Dunlop WinterResponse 2 that I run on the wife's i30 (in the same size), as they seem to be able to handle the 133hp of that car no problems. The Dunlops also give much better confidence in the wet.
0 - tyre reviewed on November 22, 2016