Nokian WR D4

The Nokian WR D4 is a Premium Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Nokian WR D3

Tyre review data from 35 tyre reviews averaging 80% over 144,116 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 AC Winter Tyre Test - 185/65 R15 - 1st of 8 tyres

• Positive - Very strong in the dry with a balanced performance across the other tests.
  • Negative - Average ice grip.

2016 AZ Winter Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 - 2nd of 14 tyres

• Positive - Good handling on snow, short braking distances on wet surfaces, the shortest braking distance on dry roads (other than CrossClimate), predictable behavior on dry roads, low rolling resistance
  • Negative - Average wet handling

2016 AMS Winter SUV Tyre Test - 2nd of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good results in the snow, high resistance to aquaplaning
  • Negative - Slightly slower steering response
205/60 R16 86H XL   B A 69
225/45 R17 94H XL   C A 69
225/40 R18 92V XL
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Nokian WR D4. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Nokian WR D4 Review

Given 66% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Leon (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 easy going miles
As for grip, fantastic tyres, I am however disappointed with the wear. I use winter tyres all year round and I have found these tyres are starting to break down around the edges of the tread. The sipes are delaminating and falling off in chunks around the edges of my front wheels.
They are fuel efficient and quiet, but the wear is terrible. Wouldn't buy them again Because of wear.
108 - tyre reviewed on August 6, 2016

Latest Nokian WR D4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Nokian WR D4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the WR D4.

Given 51% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat 2.0TDI (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 0 spirited miles
I have them for 2 years on my passat 2.0td 140 ks.but only a half of each year like a winter tyre(5 months)
At first I was surprised,it seemed like a very good winter tire.I felt confident with them even on wet surfices.on snow they are average but on dry they are quite good.
This year I was shocked when i cheked the thread on them.
They lost more than 5 mm.I'm so disapointed.when I bought them I was going for the wra3 and the salesman told that this (wrd4)are even better and iI believe him.What a mistake...if you want a nokian tyre go for wr-a3
4 - tyre reviewed on November 12, 2017
Given 67% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Corolla (205/55 R15 T) on mostly town for 3,000 average miles
The blocks of the tires are sliced too much with watery snow, thick snow drainage system, and they break up there.
8 - tyre reviewed on November 9, 2017
Given 95% (breakdown) while driving a Nissan 350z (225/50 R17) on mostly town for 3,500 spirited miles
I was amazed by this tires, especially on snow. I have them on my Nissan 350Z, so RWD car with big torque, and in the snow I had absolutely no problems at all. They give you great confidence on snow. For eg. I was going like 80-90km/h on snow, driving by SUVs barely driving 50-60km/h. They really grip the snow !!! All good also on dry or wet roads. I haven't driven them for more than 5.000km so no that much regarding wear, but they seem to be almost like new. So impressed by the Nokians that this year I am buying a set of WR SUV 3 for my Hilux! Hope to be just as good.
4 - tyre reviewed on November 1, 2017
Mazda (225/65 R16) on a combination of roads for 8,000 miles
Very reassuring in extreme wet conditions. Only limited use on snow but worked in the sense that no chains were needed, when several other cars were stuck.

Increased fuel consumption by ca. 10% compared to summer tyres, but some of that difference will be down to temperature.

Weared far quicker than expecting. Two of the four were down to 4mm, and hence no longer suitable for winter use, after less than 8000 miles. This was despite swapping them around and only using in Winter. Summers last over 20000 on this car.
6 - tyre reviewed on October 27, 2017