Nokian WR D4

The Nokian WR D4 is a Premium Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Nokian WR D3

Tyre review data from 45 tyre reviews averaging 79% over 284,443 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 AC Winter Tyre Test - 185/65 R15 - 1st of 8 tyres

• Positive - Very strong in the dry with a balanced performance across the other tests.
  • Negative - Average ice grip.

2016 AZ Winter Tyre Test - 205/55 R16 - 2nd of 14 tyres

• Positive - Good handling on snow, short braking distances on wet surfaces, the shortest braking distance on dry roads (other than CrossClimate), predictable behavior on dry roads, low rolling resistance
  • Negative - Average wet handling

2016 AMS Winter SUV Tyre Test - 2nd of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good results in the snow, high resistance to aquaplaning
  • Negative - Slightly slower steering response
205/60 R16 86H XL   B A 69
225/45 R17 94H XL   C A 69
225/40 R18 92V XL

Questions and Answers for the Nokian WR D4

2018-04-30 - I have 2017 My WR D4 (195/55/16) winter tires on my Honda CR Z sports model. Can I keep on using them for the summer season at the average temperature of btw 25-35 Celcius? What is the max temperature?

There is no maximum temperature for the WR D4, they are heat tested like all other tyres. That said, the compound will be much less effective at warmer temperatures, especially in the wet so it is not advised to use them in the summer months.

Top Nokian WR D4 Review

Given 66% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Leon (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 8,000 easy going miles
As for grip, fantastic tyres, I am however disappointed with the wear. I use winter tyres all year round and I have found these tyres are starting to break down around the edges of the tread. The sipes are delaminating and falling off in chunks around the edges of my front wheels.
They are fuel efficient and quiet, but the wear is terrible. Wouldn't buy them again Because of wear.
135 - tyre reviewed on August 6, 2016

Latest Nokian WR D4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Nokian WR D4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the WR D4.

Given 67% (breakdown) while driving a CitroŽn C4 (205/55 R16) on a combination of roads for 0 average miles
Excellent performance in wet conditions, above average in snow but the wear of the tire is the worst ever. Only after 20000 kilometers the front tires are for the trash bin.
0 - tyre reviewed on April 29, 2018
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 15,000 average miles
These tires have a really good grip in snow, but the wear is terrible
0 - tyre reviewed on March 15, 2018
Fancy winning a set of 4 tyres, fully fitted? Click below and enter!
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru Outback 2009 (225/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 27 spirited miles
im writen this march 6th 2018 ive had these tyres on my subaru outback 10month i live in eyam in the derbyshire peak distric so bad weather in winter ive dun 27.000 mile on these tryes and the tread is just the same the day they were put on in buxton derbyshire how amazing is that god grip got threw this bad weather here wen everyone stuck
0 - tyre reviewed on March 6, 2018
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Prius III (215/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 75,000 average miles
Here in Italy it is the law to have winter tyres from 1st Nov to 31st March, so this was my first purchase of winher tyres, as previously I always carried chains.
First purchased in November 16, as strongly recommended by my fitting station.
The boss was so confident that I would like them, he said he would change them to whatever, within 500km if I wasn't satisfied.
For work I travel extensively in Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and France and cover on average about 100.000km a year of which half are on winter tyres.
The first most noticeable difference to the Conti summer tyres, was that they were significantly quieter at speeds under 80KPH (50mph) and also the odd pot-hole incident tended to be a softer collision.
First snow was in Italy/Austria in Jan 17, and the grip and control at 60/70kph was faultless.
Later when this same snow turned to slush and froze, the ride was a bit like holding on as the car jumped about between the corregations.
To date, I have covered about 120.000km on these tyres and as they are now between 3 & 4 mm of depth left, I intend to change them for another set in the coming days.
1 - tyre reviewed on March 5, 2018
Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Yeti (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 20,000 average miles
20,000 miles in on my Skoda Yeti. Tyres are half way through wear.

I've driven with the WR D3 before so have not be surprised about how good these WR D4 tyres are in the snow. Frankly, I wouldn't trust any other tyre to get me around in winter. My Yeti is 2WD but with these tyres I've no problem getting over the Cockbridge to Tomintoul road throughout winter (the road in the Scottish Highlands that you always hear about being blocked on Radio 2!). The grip is fine on dry and wet roads but I tend not to drive quickly in winter anyway so I am unable to advise what these would be like at the limit, but they feel confidence inspiring and a strong tyre. They are also good in modest mud and slush (I visit farms as part of my work and have never lost traction / got stuck). I had Goodyear Ultragrips on once - never again, they were so soft and 'squidgy' feeling and dreadful in the snow - maybe ok if all you want is a winter tyre for that one day of snow in a milder area of the country. I also had Vredestien Wintrac Extremes once, tbh they seemed pretty good, but the Nokian definitely have the edge on snow-grip.

Downsides? Noise. On some surfaces they can be quite noisy, but during winter I am happy for this trade-off given their superb grip in snow.

So, if you regularly drive on snow / slushy mud then these are the best tyres I have ever used.
2 - tyre reviewed on February 11, 2018