Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2

The Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Dunlop SportMaxx RT

Tyre review data from 48 tyre reviews averaging 83% over 205,744 miles driven.

Reports

2019 Gute Fahrt Summer 18 Inch Tyre Test - 4th of 12 tyres

• Positive - Shortest dry braking, highest aquaplaning resistance, good comfort.
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Highly Recommended.

2019 Summer 53 Tyre Braking Shootout - 11th of 45 tyres

2019 EVO Summer Tyre Test - 4th of 7 tyres

• Overall - Lowest rolling resistance and best curved aquaplaning result, the Dunlop had mild traction issues in the dry and wet.
205/40 R17 84W XL   E A 67 7.81kgs
245/40 R19 98Y XL   C A 69
225/45 R19 92W   C A 68
255/30 R20 92Y XL   C A 69

Questions and Answers for the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2

2016-12-01 - Dunlop sportmaxx rt2 or coopers zeon cs sport. both A rating for wet. Which one would be better? i have an Insignia.

The Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 has shown to be better than the Cooper in the 2016 Sport Auto UHP Tyre Test.

2016-11-02 - I'm considering buying a set of these tyres but the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres look good too. So my main question is, If both sets of these tyres were the same price (Dunlop Vs Goodyear), which set would you go for? I currently drive a FWD Hyundai Coupe 1.6 ( A car which I find very heavy ) on Irish roads and need to upgrade my tyres immediately. At present, the tyres on my car are Landsail items, and are utter rubbish. Between horrible handling, a hard ride and high noise levels, I have to contend with the fact that 4 separate tyre dealers in my area couldn't balance my wheels correctly, so I have to swap them asap for a quality set-up.

That depends on your requirements from the tyre. The Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 is intended as a performance tyre, whereas the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance is a touring tyre. As such, the Dunlop will have a more sporty feel, and the Goodyear will offer more comfort. Both are excellent tyres and will offer significant improvements over your current landsail tyres.

2017-08-14 - The Dunlop Sport Max RT 91W factory fitted front tyres on my Octavia estate(64 plate) are coming up to their limit after 25500 miles.( the back ones have lots of tread left) I am not a performance driver, preferring comfort and good mpg( 58 mpg over this mileage). What do I go for to replace them?

Depending on size, the Continental Premium Contact 6 looks to be an excellent blend of comfort and performance.

2017-12-19 - Hi, I have a 2016 Subaru WRX STI with the recommended 245/40 R18 Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 tyres. Unfortunately, I find the ride excessively hard (I know this is a characteristic of the car). Is there a tyre of the same size that would help the ride comfort and smooth things out, without too greatly compromising the vehicle? Softer sidewalls? I see above you recommend Continental Premium Contact 6 as an excellent blend of comfort & performance, and I believe the Goodyear F1 AsymmetricaI 3 is also very good. I only drive at normal road speeds, and own the vehicle for it's AWD ability to operate in all conditions (dry, rain, mud, frost, sunny etc.) - I am not interested in maximum attack style track days!. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

For all its sporty credentials, the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 is actually a comfortable UUHP tyre. The Continental Premiumcontact 6 would be a good option, also the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance will be more comfortable than the Asymmetric 3 and RT 2.

2018-04-17 - Do these tyres have good alloy wheel protection ?

In certain sizes the SportMaxx RT2 has a raised flange to protect the wheel, you would need to check with your tyre dealer to see if your size does.

2018-05-27 - Is there any significant difference between SportMaxx RT2 & Goodyear Asym. 3 in terms of feedback and comfort considering the fact Dunlop's parent company is Goodyear?

Not a huge amount! In theory the RT2 is slightly more sport focused than the Asymmetric 3, but I've not had chance to do the test back to back so can't confirm this. Both are excellent tyres.

2018-07-25 - Are these going to be available in 16" or shall I go with the maxx RT? I'm currently using Barum Bravuris 3HM, is the maxx rt's overall performance better than the Barums? Is it worth to replace the Barums with maxx rt or rt 2 if it's going to be available in 16"?

It is very unlikely Dunlop would develop this in a 16 inch as their focus is very much on 17 inch plus. The only chance of it being developed in 16 inch is if Dunlop had an OE fitment request, which is again very unlikely.

2019-04-12 - Hi, I need to fit my old 2000 corvette cab with staggered size 245/45YR17 and 275/40YR18. The Dunlop RT2 and the Hankook S1, V12 are the one that I could find in both size, given that I am only looking at major brands. I am focusing on touring if any. The Dunlop attracts me due to lower noise and good braking in the wet, which in sweden is a interesting point. The Hankook is similar in test result, except for the noise and recommended. What is your take on this? Should I mix brand and model front and rear? Should I stay with same model? Dunlop or Hankook? Thank you very much.

I would avoid mixing front and rear where possible. I'd probably go for the Dunlops over the Hankooks if it's an earlier version of the S1. In turn, the S1 Evo 3 would probably be the smarter purchase as it's a newer tyre than the RT2.

Top Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 Review

Given 93% while driving a Renault Megane RS250 CUP (235/35 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
I have changed my ContiSportContact 5Ps with these. Quite happy so far. The car feels like more responsive and quiter. I have preferred these over SportContact6s purely because of the price advantage but it doesnt feel like a wrong choice so far. The rim protectors, which dont exist on 5Ps, are also nice. I have just painted my rims before installing these and these protectors have already save me from scratching the rims couple of times.
225 - tyre reviewed on April 30, 2016

Latest Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 Reviews

Have you driven on the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the SportMaxx RT 2.

Given 97% while driving a Audi audi a3 s line 2,0tdi 150bhp (235/35 R19 W) on mostly country roads for 5,000 average miles
Average yearly mileage is 18k. After having 2 full sets of Pirelli P Zero, decided to try different brand as Pirellis only lasted about 8000 before changing ( replaced at 3mm) when cold easy spun tyres on take off, once warm grip was great with no issues on both dry and wet roads..... once worn they became real noisy .... so decided to try Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 and so far after 5000 miles superb tyres and very pleased with them, down to about 6mm ....tyres grip great in the wet and dry... they dont suffer from wheelspin when cold....much quieter. I would have no hesitation in recommending the Dunlops as an excelent replacement
2 - tyre reviewed on October 2, 2019
Given 97% while driving a Ford Focus MK2 1.8 TDCI (225/40 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 5,000 average miles
Got a good deal so had a set of 4 fitted to Focus 1.8tdci replacing Michelin ps4.
Now I have travelled about 5k miles on these Dunlops and I cannot fault them. Usually country roads and town driving.
Dry Grip is there always from starting from cold to warm, Michelin was the same in the dry.
Wet grip I slowly started to push the car a bit more to find out what I would get from these Dunlops and I was amazed they were brilliant I never slid had any twitches on the steering gave me a lot more confidence in the wet, I had none in the Michelin in the wet they were dreadful and slid easily under acceleration (sorry Michelin but they felt more plastic than rubber in the wet)
The Dunlops don't give any road noise as I can hear but I am driving a diesel so that may drowned it out if there is any, same with the Michelin.
Comfort is excellent easy to live with and being 40 series that is a big plus as some cheaper brands are like riding on wood,
All in all I have tried a lot of different brands on different cars and these Dunlops are up there with the best Pirellis I have had, I find them better than Michelin and Conti which I have had on this car and I would recommend them to anyone with a similar family hatchback, my friend has the same tyre on an s-type jaguar and loves them too.
Cost wise I suppose it all depends on what deals are available at the time but we know all top quality brands are going to be of similar cost.
Mileage I have done 5k and they still look like new so I am happy I got just over 9k from the Michelin on the front of the car I have a suspicion these will do better by looking at how much tread is left after 5k.
Would I buy again? Yes without hesitation, I would only be tempted away if I got Pirelli at a similar cost I got these for £300 all in for four.
3 - tyre reviewed on September 15, 2019
Given 100% while driving a Ford Focus ST (235/40 R18) on mostly country roads for 120 spirited miles
When I bought the car it had 4 different tyres and I struggled to control wheel spin in 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd.
I bought 2 for the front to try. After a week I ordered 2 for the rear as the difference was amazing.
I have drove in the dry and wet with no problem but I have yet to drive in winter
11 - tyre reviewed on September 8, 2019
Given 46% while driving a Mercedes Benz C32 AMG (225/40 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 2,500 spirited miles
As I mounted the tires to my C32 AMG unfortunatly I had to replace in 3 weeks to Michelin Pilot Sports..The wet grip is horrible to the amount of money Dunlop charge for it.
The Michelins are a little more expensive in The Netherlands but give way more grip than the other Dunlops.
19 - tyre reviewed on June 26, 2019