Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2

The Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Dunlop SportMaxx RT

Tyre review data from 43 tyre reviews averaging 84% over 173,124 miles driven.

Reports

2019 Gute Fahrt Summer 18 Inch Tyre Test - 4th of 12 tyres

• Positive - Shortest dry braking, highest aquaplaning resistance, good comfort.
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Highly Recommended.

2019 Summer 53 Tyre Braking Shootout - 11th of 45 tyres

2019 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - 13th of 20 tyres

• Positive - Good aquaplaning resistance, good handling and short braking distances in the dry, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Understeer in the wet.
  • Overall - Recommended.
205/40 R17 84W XL   E A 67 7.81kgs
245/40 R19 98Y XL   C A 69
225/45 R19 92W   C A 68
255/30 R20 92Y XL   C A 69

Questions and Answers for the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2

2016-12-01 - Dunlop sportmaxx rt2 or coopers zeon cs sport. both A rating for wet. Which one would be better? i have an Insignia.

The Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 has shown to be better than the Cooper in the 2016 Sport Auto UHP Tyre Test.

2016-11-02 - I'm considering buying a set of these tyres but the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres look good too. So my main question is, If both sets of these tyres were the same price (Dunlop Vs Goodyear), which set would you go for? I currently drive a FWD Hyundai Coupe 1.6 ( A car which I find very heavy ) on Irish roads and need to upgrade my tyres immediately. At present, the tyres on my car are Landsail items, and are utter rubbish. Between horrible handling, a hard ride and high noise levels, I have to contend with the fact that 4 separate tyre dealers in my area couldn't balance my wheels correctly, so I have to swap them asap for a quality set-up.

That depends on your requirements from the tyre. The Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 is intended as a performance tyre, whereas the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance is a touring tyre. As such, the Dunlop will have a more sporty feel, and the Goodyear will offer more comfort. Both are excellent tyres and will offer significant improvements over your current landsail tyres.

2017-08-14 - The Dunlop Sport Max RT 91W factory fitted front tyres on my Octavia estate(64 plate) are coming up to their limit after 25500 miles.( the back ones have lots of tread left) I am not a performance driver, preferring comfort and good mpg( 58 mpg over this mileage). What do I go for to replace them?

Depending on size, the Continental Premium Contact 6 looks to be an excellent blend of comfort and performance.

2017-12-19 - Hi, I have a 2016 Subaru WRX STI with the recommended 245/40 R18 Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 tyres. Unfortunately, I find the ride excessively hard (I know this is a characteristic of the car). Is there a tyre of the same size that would help the ride comfort and smooth things out, without too greatly compromising the vehicle? Softer sidewalls? I see above you recommend Continental Premium Contact 6 as an excellent blend of comfort & performance, and I believe the Goodyear F1 AsymmetricaI 3 is also very good. I only drive at normal road speeds, and own the vehicle for it's AWD ability to operate in all conditions (dry, rain, mud, frost, sunny etc.) - I am not interested in maximum attack style track days!. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

For all its sporty credentials, the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 is actually a comfortable UUHP tyre. The Continental Premiumcontact 6 would be a good option, also the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance will be more comfortable than the Asymmetric 3 and RT 2.

2018-04-17 - Do these tyres have good alloy wheel protection ?

In certain sizes the SportMaxx RT2 has a raised flange to protect the wheel, you would need to check with your tyre dealer to see if your size does.

2018-05-27 - Is there any significant difference between SportMaxx RT2 & Goodyear Asym. 3 in terms of feedback and comfort considering the fact Dunlop's parent company is Goodyear?

Not a huge amount! In theory the RT2 is slightly more sport focused than the Asymmetric 3, but I've not had chance to do the test back to back so can't confirm this. Both are excellent tyres.

2018-07-25 - Are these going to be available in 16" or shall I go with the maxx RT? I'm currently using Barum Bravuris 3HM, is the maxx rt's overall performance better than the Barums? Is it worth to replace the Barums with maxx rt or rt 2 if it's going to be available in 16"?

It is very unlikely Dunlop would develop this in a 16 inch as their focus is very much on 17 inch plus. The only chance of it being developed in 16 inch is if Dunlop had an OE fitment request, which is again very unlikely.

2019-04-12 - Hi, I need to fit my old 2000 corvette cab with staggered size 245/45YR17 and 275/40YR18. The Dunlop RT2 and the Hankook S1, V12 are the one that I could find in both size, given that I am only looking at major brands. I am focusing on touring if any. The Dunlop attracts me due to lower noise and good braking in the wet, which in sweden is a interesting point. The Hankook is similar in test result, except for the noise and recommended. What is your take on this? Should I mix brand and model front and rear? Should I stay with same model? Dunlop or Hankook? Thank you very much.

I would avoid mixing front and rear where possible. I'd probably go for the Dunlops over the Hankooks if it's an earlier version of the S1. In turn, the S1 Evo 3 would probably be the smarter purchase as it's a newer tyre than the RT2.

Top Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 Review

Given 93% while driving a Renault Megane RS250 CUP (235/35 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
I have changed my ContiSportContact 5Ps with these. Quite happy so far. The car feels like more responsive and quiter. I have preferred these over SportContact6s purely because of the price advantage but it doesnt feel like a wrong choice so far. The rim protectors, which dont exist on 5Ps, are also nice. I have just painted my rims before installing these and these protectors have already save me from scratching the rims couple of times.
208 - tyre reviewed on April 30, 2016

Latest Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 Reviews

Have you driven on the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the SportMaxx RT 2.

Given 90% while driving a Audi SQ5 (255/40 R21 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 miles
Replaced my Pirelli PZero's after 17,000 miles and was inspired by the Dunlop series after having them on my previous Audi S4 Avant. Immediate reduction in road noise, grips in both wet and dry conditions and have complete confidence when cornering at speed. Better fuel return albeit marginally just adds to the all round thumbs up. Whilst they are a much softer compound than the PZero,s even at this stage with limited mileage, I would find it hard to consider another tyre.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 28, 2019
Given 60% while driving a Mazda 3 Series (205/50 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 20,000 spirited miles
I bought these tyres last season and made about 20 000 kilometers with them. I expected a much higher performance, on wet surface are horrible. It's difficult even to start with them. During hot and dry wether these tyres are just above averege. I'm not buying this tyer again
0 - tyre reviewed on May 25, 2019
Given 82% while driving a Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (255/40 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
Bought 4 of these Dunlops to replace the previous PZeros. The Dunlops are much quieter & smoother for sure as the pzeros were quite hard and noisy.
Dry handling is good with no issues, but don’t feel as grippy as the pzeros. They are much better than the pzeros in the wet and cold weather though with less understeer.
Feedback is good but being softer they feel a bit more squishy than the pzeros.
They took a couple hundred miles to feel really bedded in and I’ve only done a thousand miles total on them so far so can’t say about wear at the moment. My pzeros as a comparison I got 3 1/2 years out of them and 30,000 miles and they still had 2mm all round.. somehow I don’t think the Dunlops will last as long as they seem softer.
5 - tyre reviewed on March 7, 2019
Given 87% while driving a Unknown (225/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
Recently just had the Dunlop’s fitted to my e46 330i touring (which I drive spiritedly) after replacing the cooper tyres the previous owner had on the car and my god is there a difference ,it’s hard to unsettle these tyres including when I boot the car round wet roundabouts the tyres seem to just stick and car feels planted even with the weight of the rear of the car wanting to fling its self round it maintains its composure ,in the dry the tyres maintain traction well off the line with very little slip (dsc off) although I haven’t had them long at the moment I highly rate them for daily spirited driving and would recommend them
7 - tyre reviewed on February 20, 2019
Given 84% while driving a Honda Civic Type R (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 0 spirited miles
I've had these on a 2015 typeR, so plenty of power to chew the tyres up. i also upsized from factory 235/35r19 to 255/35r19 on the rt2.
i use these in warmer weather only and swap to winter tyres for the cold months so i've seen about 2.5 years/15k miles out of these, including two trackdays.
lasted far better than the conti CSC6's that needed replacing after 9month/4.5k however comparing rt2 to csc6, the rt2's do feel a bit numb with feedback. This does have benefits from a smoother ride on rough roads, but doesnt make it quite as enjoyable when pushing on. RT2 does give you confidence in the curves and you can tell when nearing the limit. near as damn-it doesn't matter for road dry grip and wet grip is far better than csc6.
for the cost of the tyre and reviews they get, it's hard to not seriously consider this tyre for the road. I'm torn between the cheaper price of the RT2 or performance of the PS4S for my replacement set...
6 - tyre reviewed on January 16, 2019