Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2

The Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Dunlop SportMaxx RT

Tyre review data from 36 tyre reviews averaging 86% over 125,624 miles driven.

Reports

2018 EVO UUHP Tyre Test - 3rd of 6 tyres

2018 Auto Express Summer Tyre Test - 2nd of 10 tyres

• Positive - Excellent all round performance, excelling in the aquaplaning tests. Very low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Slightly weak in the dry.

2018 Test World Summer Tyre Test - 8th of 16 tyres

• Positive - Good handling in the wet, low rolling resistance.
  • Negative - Poor dry handling.
205/40 R17 84W XL   E A 67 7.81kgs
245/40 R19 98Y XL   C A 69
225/45 R19 92W   C A 68
255/30 R20 92Y XL   C A 69

Questions and Answers for the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2

2016-12-01 - Dunlop sportmaxx rt2 or coopers zeon cs sport. both A rating for wet. Which one would be better? i have an Insignia.

The Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 has shown to be better than the Cooper in the 2016 Sport Auto UHP Tyre Test.

2016-11-02 - I'm considering buying a set of these tyres but the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres look good too. So my main question is, If both sets of these tyres were the same price (Dunlop Vs Goodyear), which set would you go for? I currently drive a FWD Hyundai Coupe 1.6 ( A car which I find very heavy ) on Irish roads and need to upgrade my tyres immediately. At present, the tyres on my car are Landsail items, and are utter rubbish. Between horrible handling, a hard ride and high noise levels, I have to contend with the fact that 4 separate tyre dealers in my area couldn't balance my wheels correctly, so I have to swap them asap for a quality set-up.

That depends on your requirements from the tyre. The Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 is intended as a performance tyre, whereas the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance is a touring tyre. As such, the Dunlop will have a more sporty feel, and the Goodyear will offer more comfort. Both are excellent tyres and will offer significant improvements over your current landsail tyres.

2017-08-14 - The Dunlop Sport Max RT 91W factory fitted front tyres on my Octavia estate(64 plate) are coming up to their limit after 25500 miles.( the back ones have lots of tread left) I am not a performance driver, preferring comfort and good mpg( 58 mpg over this mileage). What do I go for to replace them?

Depending on size, the Continental Premium Contact 6 looks to be an excellent blend of comfort and performance.

2017-12-19 - Hi, I have a 2016 Subaru WRX STI with the recommended 245/40 R18 Dunlop SportMaxx RT2 tyres. Unfortunately, I find the ride excessively hard (I know this is a characteristic of the car). Is there a tyre of the same size that would help the ride comfort and smooth things out, without too greatly compromising the vehicle? Softer sidewalls? I see above you recommend Continental Premium Contact 6 as an excellent blend of comfort & performance, and I believe the Goodyear F1 AsymmetricaI 3 is also very good. I only drive at normal road speeds, and own the vehicle for it's AWD ability to operate in all conditions (dry, rain, mud, frost, sunny etc.) - I am not interested in maximum attack style track days!. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

For all its sporty credentials, the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 is actually a comfortable UUHP tyre. The Continental Premiumcontact 6 would be a good option, also the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance will be more comfortable than the Asymmetric 3 and RT 2.

2018-04-17 - Do these tyres have good alloy wheel protection ?

In certain sizes the SportMaxx RT2 has a raised flange to protect the wheel, you would need to check with your tyre dealer to see if your size does.

2018-05-27 - Is there any significant difference between SportMaxx RT2 & Goodyear Asym. 3 in terms of feedback and comfort considering the fact Dunlop's parent company is Goodyear?

Not a huge amount! In theory the RT2 is slightly more sport focused than the Asymmetric 3, but I've not had chance to do the test back to back so can't confirm this. Both are excellent tyres.

2018-07-25 - Are these going to be available in 16" or shall I go with the maxx RT? I'm currently using Barum Bravuris 3HM, is the maxx rt's overall performance better than the Barums? Is it worth to replace the Barums with maxx rt or rt 2 if it's going to be available in 16"?

It is very unlikely Dunlop would develop this in a 16 inch as their focus is very much on 17 inch plus. The only chance of it being developed in 16 inch is if Dunlop had an OE fitment request, which is again very unlikely.

Top Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 Review

Given 93% while driving a Renault Megane RS250 CUP (235/35 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
I have changed my ContiSportContact 5Ps with these. Quite happy so far. The car feels like more responsive and quiter. I have preferred these over SportContact6s purely because of the price advantage but it doesnt feel like a wrong choice so far. The rim protectors, which dont exist on 5Ps, are also nice. I have just painted my rims before installing these and these protectors have already save me from scratching the rims couple of times.
190 - tyre reviewed on April 30, 2016

Latest Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 Reviews

Have you driven on the Dunlop SportMaxx RT 2 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the SportMaxx RT 2.

Given 96% while driving a Volvo V40 D4 Cross Country (225/45 R17) on mostly motorways for 0 spirited miles
Great tyres I put on my Volvo V40 cross country. Excellent gip on both wet and dry. Great control of the car in any conditions. Fantastic wear after 25K miles still 5 mm left
0 - tyre reviewed on November 24, 2018
Jaguar 2.2 diesel saloon (235/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 14 spirited miles
Fitted these to my 55 plate X Type 2.2 diesel! This car has been fitted with Bilstien top spec gas shocks and lowered on performance springs! The car itself is tuned to 186 bhp approx and is very sporty!
On stock tyres Pirelli the abs was always kicking in, only seen the light once since upgrades and drives superbly! Like on rails even in the wet! Just ordered a set for my 2.7 Twin Turbo V6 S Type! Also tuned! 😎
2 - tyre reviewed on October 25, 2018
Given 69% while driving a BMW 320d SE (e46) Saloon (225/40 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 1,900 average miles
I have bought 2 tyres , 225 40 18 92y, to fit on the front axle in my Bmw 320d E46. I have chosen them based on reviews and many tyres test found on the internet. Previously, i used to have Conti Sport Contact 5, so i will compare Dunlop with Conti. When i started to search for tyres, I tried to find a comfortable, quiet and a low mass tyre, because it can be a 1,5 kg difference between tyres brands. So i decided to buy Dunlop Sport MAxx rt2:
- dry grip is good, the tyre is sticky when it's getting hot, but the lateral walls are way to soft. It's good for ride quality, but not for high speed corners. The tyre simply can't hold the weight of the car in a sporty drive, even with 2,7 bar pressure.
- wet grip is ok, but the problem with softness still remains, so the car gets some understeer, both in dry and wet;
- road feedback is good, but not as good as Conti SC5. Sometimes, the car understeers, but i can't feel it in the steering wheel. With Conti, i knew better what;s going on with front wheels;
- wear is good i think, i've done about 3.000 km with these tyres , with some sporty drive, and they are as new;
- comfort is good, they are quiet and comfortable to drive;
- i will not buy them again, just because of the softness of the sidewalls. These tyres can't hold the car in high speed or tight corners, not because the grip, but because the deformation of the sidewalls;
I think they suit more for city driving, or cars with less mass, like Golf, Astra, Focus.
I would buy again Conti SC5, or Michelin PS4.
1 - tyre reviewed on September 22, 2018
Given 83% while driving a Ford Fiesta ST180 (205/40 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 5,500 spirited miles
I bought these tyres instead of Asy 3's or PS3's (PS4's wasn't available at the time of purchase), because they was slightly cheaper at the time of purchase and I was curious to see how they performed. In the Fiesta ST180 world, the majority of people tend to go for PS3's or Rainsports as a cheaper alternative however I didn't see the point in getting rainsports when they apparently don't last very long. Back to the Sport Maxx RT2. I am quite an aggressive driver in terms of late braking when safe to do so, typical spirited drive around country side etc. I am very impressed with how they handle. After a couple of thousand miles of typical commuting and the odd country drive, I went for a driving day with some friends around the lake district. The weather was typical beginning of summer / end of spring, and was a mixture of greasy roads and sunshine throughout the day. I gave the car some beans through the country roads expecting oversteer or a bit of a wobble, however the RT2's just kept me planted. Especially when they are warm they are superb handling in the dry and are very impressive in the wet. They give you a lot of confidence going into a corner and again with the braking and sort of let you know when your pushing a bit too much in the wet and give you a chance to sort yourself out. The wear rate so far is absolutely fine, I have had a unknown tracking issue which has lead one tyre to wear a lot faster however overall they have taken a beating and have plenty of life left. I'm hoping to take them on track soon. A potential downside for some but equally a good thing for daily driving is the side walls. They seem a little soft in comparison to say the PS3's and have a similar contrast to the Ays 3's in that respect. The road noise is minimal and as expected when you go over a poorly tarmac road and are very comfortable. I would most certainly buy these tyres again, however I am tempted to try PS4's further down the line to see if they are as good as people make out. But for a lesser popular tyre, I would most definitely recommend the Sport Maxx RT2. Well done Dunlop.
2 - tyre reviewed on July 31, 2018
Given 59% while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2tdi (225/55 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 10,000 easy going miles
I think I am unlucky with them. After 10000 miles start wearing on middle to the point I have to return them to garage and used warranty from Dunlop.Never see something like this before. Tyre pressure was checked ones a week and suspension, tracking and alligment is bang on. They wear in 10000 miles to 2.5 mm . Very disappointed . Audi A6 2.0 tdi 190 s tronic
29 - tyre reviewed on March 20, 2018