Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 86 tyre reviews averaging 89% over 336,014 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2018 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 11 tyres

• Positive - A very balanced tyre with excellent dry and wet braking.
  • Negative - None mentioned.
  • Overall - Highly recommended.

2018 Test World Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 16 tyres

• Positive - Short braking distances in the dry and wet, excellent handling in all conditions, excellent balance during emergency maneuvers, excellent feedback in all conditions.
  • Negative - Relatively high rolling resistance.

2018 AZ Summer AND All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Overall - A leading performance in both the dry and wet ensured the Pilot Sport 4 wins the test convincingly, despite having a right rolling resistance.
245/40 R17 95Y XL   C A 71
225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

2017-04-05 - I have a mazda mx 5 . Is this tyre too good for this car . ? Is it quiet and comfortable ?

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is both quiet and comfortable. There are quieter tyres on the market however you would lose some sporty feel, which is important on a car like the MX5.

2017-08-17 - I am driving 2013 BMW 330D Xdrive with dimensions 225/45/R18 and I cant decide is it better to purchase Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Premium Contact 6??? It is very hard to find those two tyres in comparison in this dimensions! I am looking only for the best tyre!

This test should answer your questions. Pilot Sport 4 in 1st place, Premium Contact 6 in 3rd, using your size.

2017-09-06 - Hi there, I have an e39 M5.. usually use Michelin Super Sports which are priced the same as the PS4.. I have 18" wheels to PS4s isn't available in my size.. Which is a better tyre the Super Sport or the standard PS4 (no s)...

In 99% of cases, the newer PS4 is the better tyre. The PSS has the edge in dry grip, feedback and track day work, but if you're using the tyre on the road you won't be disappointed with the PS4.

2017-11-14 - BMW 318i with Contipremiumcontact 2, im looking to get some new tires didn't mind how these handled although they had slight under steer in wet if pushed im looking at PS4 and the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance only problem is the PS4 dont come in the current size on the car and the Goodyears do. My question is would there be a benefit coming down from 225/50/16 to 205/55/16 so i can fit these tires are they really that much better in the wet/dry/ect... that the loss of with wont matter

Without specific testing it is too difficult to answer properly, however it's worth noting you will have to declare the new tyre size as a modification to your insurance company which is reason enough to stay with the OE size.

2018-02-27 - Shouldn't this tire be labeled as "Ultra High Performance" and not "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Sport 3? The Pilot Sport 4 S is the "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Super Sport.

It's an interesting question. The Pilot Sport 4 is the direct replacement of the Pilot Sport 3, but Michelin moved the game on so much with regards to sporty handling and feel of the tyre it deserves to be in the higher category.

2018-03-17 - Hi, for a Honda Civic 1.8 petrol 2010 tyres 225/40/R18 Y XL would Michelin PS4 or Pirelli PZero PZ4 give best ride comfort? I know Goodyear Asmm. 3 offer good ride but currently I have Potenza S001 at front PS3 rear so concerned about softer sidewall of Goodyears. Many thanks.

I've not tested them back to back so I'm unsure which would be more comfortable, but if I had to guess based on experience I would say the P Zero PZ4 would be slightly more comfortable than the Pilot Sport 4.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Audi 2.0tdi 140 sline sportback (225/40 R18) on mostly town for 15,000 easy going miles
Fitted to Audi A3 Sportback. 225/40/18. Cost £104 per tyre. Previous tyres were Continental .... I forget the specifics. Which were good tyres but not this good.
I researched a lot prior to buying these tyres but I am very happy with them.
A major competitor in my thoughts was the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 (not the inferior Assymetric 3). Which is a much older design but apparently suits the A3 very well. However, I gave up on them since they cost around 30% more.
Good points. HANDLING. Superb turn in, really inspiring, the cars feels more alive and I feel a better driver with these on. Excellent in dry or wet. I usually drive fairly gently (occasionally with a lot of exuberance) and though it's difficult to judge tyre effect on MPG I'd say the economy is good. Wearing well too around 15k so far.
Bad points. On rubbish pot hole roads they can feel a bit 'crashy'. Noise - Not bad but reading the quoted figures I'd hoped they would be quieter.
Best description I can give is they feel silky. I am really impressed.
4 - tyre reviewed on March 26, 2018
Trying to pick the BEST tyre possible for your car? Watch this!
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDI (245/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 500 spirited miles
Straight out the box I found the Michelin pilot sport 4 tires are superb. I have them Fitted to my front wheel drive A6 2.0tdi with 180bhp and 400nm
For a summer tyre (not being a track based tyre) it has Masses of dry grip, compared to my last set, Michelin pilot sport 3 they are everything I expected and more.
Then we get on to the important bit. Now I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos, read dozens of reviews trying to find out which is the best tyre for wet weather and how budgets compare to the premiums brands and so on, and I was a little sceptical on how good the pilot sport 4 really are, and from past experiences of driving many cars with various tyres choices, to compare to pilot sport 4's, When the rain starts to fall, The WET GRIP!! Absolutely astonishing. Apart from the road visually looking wet you wouldn't know you was driving on a wet Road. Even under hard braking and abit of second gear, foot down on a roundabout, and I plant all 400nm, It just bites the tarmac and goes. Turn in from the front tyres in the wet is excellent.
Wear rate still to early to say, but I would expect like all Michelins they will last a long time.
Road noise isn't noticeable for everyday driving. Though Audi cabins are particularly well insulated.

I can recommend these tyres enough.
4 - tyre reviewed on March 9, 2018
Given 97% (breakdown) while driving a Honda Civic 1.8 (225/45 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 1,000 average miles
Switched to the PS4 from the Bridgestone RE003, immediately inspired confidence. Grips so much better in the wet, the set of RE003 tyres slid around quite a bit when I drove through puddles, but the new PS4 tyres sliced right through them. The PS4 is much quieter than the RE003. Dry braking and wet braking are significantly better. Cornering is also a joy with the PS4. I would consider the PS4S but unfortunately it doesn't have a size for my rims.
9 - tyre reviewed on February 14, 2018
Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Polo 6R 1.6 (205/45 R17 W) on mostly town for 19,000 spirited miles
I've been using my PS4 since 2017 April. Up till now (30k km), it still work quite impressive. Dry condition, superb... wet condition, excellent until you reach 50% of usage...then it start to skid a little bit when its raining and when you hit puddle ( note that this happen when i drove my car above 60mph)

Dry condition, yes totally superb. I'm a spirited driver and once have a trackday in Sepang using this tyre. The feedback was superb and I love it. Sharp turn is predictable and easy to handle around Sepang. Sidewall is stiff and makes the tyre last longer.
27 - tyre reviewed on January 24, 2018