Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 92 tyre reviews averaging 89% over 415,014 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2018 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 11 tyres

• Positive - A very balanced tyre with excellent dry and wet braking.
  • Negative - None mentioned.
  • Overall - Highly recommended.

2018 Test World Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 16 tyres

• Positive - Short braking distances in the dry and wet, excellent handling in all conditions, excellent balance during emergency maneuvers, excellent feedback in all conditions.
  • Negative - Relatively high rolling resistance.

2018 AZ Summer AND All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Overall - A leading performance in both the dry and wet ensured the Pilot Sport 4 wins the test convincingly, despite having a right rolling resistance.
245/40 R17 95Y XL   C A 71
225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

2017-04-05 - I have a mazda mx 5 . Is this tyre too good for this car . ? Is it quiet and comfortable ?

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is both quiet and comfortable. There are quieter tyres on the market however you would lose some sporty feel, which is important on a car like the MX5.

2017-08-17 - I am driving 2013 BMW 330D Xdrive with dimensions 225/45/R18 and I cant decide is it better to purchase Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Premium Contact 6??? It is very hard to find those two tyres in comparison in this dimensions! I am looking only for the best tyre!

This test should answer your questions. Pilot Sport 4 in 1st place, Premium Contact 6 in 3rd, using your size.

2017-09-06 - Hi there, I have an e39 M5.. usually use Michelin Super Sports which are priced the same as the PS4.. I have 18" wheels to PS4s isn't available in my size.. Which is a better tyre the Super Sport or the standard PS4 (no s)...

In 99% of cases, the newer PS4 is the better tyre. The PSS has the edge in dry grip, feedback and track day work, but if you're using the tyre on the road you won't be disappointed with the PS4.

2017-11-14 - BMW 318i with Contipremiumcontact 2, im looking to get some new tires didn't mind how these handled although they had slight under steer in wet if pushed im looking at PS4 and the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance only problem is the PS4 dont come in the current size on the car and the Goodyears do. My question is would there be a benefit coming down from 225/50/16 to 205/55/16 so i can fit these tires are they really that much better in the wet/dry/ect... that the loss of with wont matter

Without specific testing it is too difficult to answer properly, however it's worth noting you will have to declare the new tyre size as a modification to your insurance company which is reason enough to stay with the OE size.

2018-02-27 - Shouldn't this tire be labeled as "Ultra High Performance" and not "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Sport 3? The Pilot Sport 4 S is the "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Super Sport.

It's an interesting question. The Pilot Sport 4 is the direct replacement of the Pilot Sport 3, but Michelin moved the game on so much with regards to sporty handling and feel of the tyre it deserves to be in the higher category.

2018-03-17 - Hi, for a Honda Civic 1.8 petrol 2010 tyres 225/40/R18 Y XL would Michelin PS4 or Pirelli PZero PZ4 give best ride comfort? I know Goodyear Asmm. 3 offer good ride but currently I have Potenza S001 at front PS3 rear so concerned about softer sidewall of Goodyears. Many thanks.

I've not tested them back to back so I'm unsure which would be more comfortable, but if I had to guess based on experience I would say the P Zero PZ4 would be slightly more comfortable than the Pilot Sport 4.

2018-05-07 - Hello. My Audi A4 Quattro needs only Front Tyres at the moment. I would like to fit Pilot Sport 4. Do you think these will behave ok with the standard fit Hankook Ventus S1evo2 that are on the back? Thanks

Both tyres are produced within the allowable size guidelines so technically they should work fine together, however it might be worth checking owners forums to be sure.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Renault Sport Megane 225 (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 3,500 spirited miles
Fitted them on a sporty Renault Megane RS 225 and I was greatly surprised. The control is clear and responsive and general grip amazing. Pure cornering grip is outstanding even at high speeds.

Overall it is a great tyre for ultimate dry grip and I believe that only semi-slicks and full slicks can offer more grip. Wet grip is also surprisingly good. Not so much on accelaration but cornering and control are still very predictable in the rain.

In my opinion, wear is surprisingly good for this class of tyres.
0 - tyre reviewed on May 25, 2018
Fancy winning a set of 4 tyres, fully fitted? Click below and enter!
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Leon Cupra ST 290 (FWD) (235/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 20,000 spirited miles
This is a mid life review, as I change these to another set of PS4 mid-life as I like to have a lot of thread. This tyre must be the best rain tyre ever, I drive a very powerful FWD car on relatively skinny 235 section and, if it isn't greasy for other reasons, it is amazing how well these put down the power. It grips in the rain like many an average tyre can't do in the dry. It is also comfortable, quiet and seems to last very well considering my driving style.
That said, I've you are a nerd driving enthusiast like me, the PS4 isn't the most dynamic sports tyre in terms of feedback or dancing on the edge of grip. In that aspect, they remind me of the PS3, a friendly benign tyre. They are very progressive, but don't give as much feedback like the Supersport. Which is the tyre I changed to for that reason, sacrificing some wet grip and comfort in the process I suppose (not tested that bit yet). A question about priorities...
10 - tyre reviewed on May 24, 2018
Volkswagen (205/55 R16 W) on a combination of roads for 500 average miles
Great tyres!

Fitted PS 4 205/55/ZR16 94Y (XL) on my B6 Passat instead of Michelin Primacy HP 215/55/16 91V (5 year old ones after 60000+km).
Grip on both dry and wet- extraordinary. As there is no water on the road at all.
A bit noisier than Primacy HP (as i recall from last autumn, because just removed winter tyres - guess which: Michelin Alpin A4 :)
Not much driven, so wear is not rated yet!
Comparing to old Primacy HP 215/55, it's a bit less comfy (although XL), but more that 30% cheaper though!
Had in option Primacy 4, but after reading some bad reviews (on tyrereviews.co.uk) ... there can be only one- PS 4!
Have fitted Pilot Sport 3 on FIAT Bravo 2008...also great tire!
Front ones 14k km, rear 23k km as front + 14k km as rear -near to the end of life - to be replaced with set of PS4.

Would by again definitely!
6 - tyre reviewed on April 20, 2018