Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 146 tyre reviews averaging 85% over 1,499,357 miles driven.

Reports

2019 Auto Bild Sports Car Tyre Test - 4th of 11 tyres

• Positive - Good handling in all conditions, highest aquaplaning resistance, good level of comfort.
  • Negative - High price, average lateral stability in the wet.
  • Overall - Exemplary.

2019 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 20 tyres

• Positive - Best driving dynamics on test, and in the top 3 in almost all tests. Excellent wet and dry handling, low wear.
  • Negative - High purchase price, average rolling resistance.
  • Overall - Highly recommended.

2019 Summer 53 Tyre Braking Shootout - 2nd of 45 tyres

225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

2017-04-05 - I have a mazda mx 5 . Is this tyre too good for this car . ? Is it quiet and comfortable ?

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is both quiet and comfortable. There are quieter tyres on the market however you would lose some sporty feel, which is important on a car like the MX5.

2017-08-17 - I am driving 2013 BMW 330D Xdrive with dimensions 225/45/R18 and I cant decide is it better to purchase Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Premium Contact 6??? It is very hard to find those two tyres in comparison in this dimensions! I am looking only for the best tyre!

This test should answer your questions. Pilot Sport 4 in 1st place, Premium Contact 6 in 3rd, using your size.

2017-09-06 - Hi there, I have an e39 M5.. usually use Michelin Super Sports which are priced the same as the PS4.. I have 18" wheels to PS4s isn't available in my size.. Which is a better tyre the Super Sport or the standard PS4 (no s)...

In 99% of cases, the newer PS4 is the better tyre. The PSS has the edge in dry grip, feedback and track day work, but if you're using the tyre on the road you won't be disappointed with the PS4.

2017-11-14 - BMW 318i with Contipremiumcontact 2, im looking to get some new tires didn't mind how these handled although they had slight under steer in wet if pushed im looking at PS4 and the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance only problem is the PS4 dont come in the current size on the car and the Goodyears do. My question is would there be a benefit coming down from 225/50/16 to 205/55/16 so i can fit these tires are they really that much better in the wet/dry/ect... that the loss of with wont matter

Without specific testing it is too difficult to answer properly, however it's worth noting you will have to declare the new tyre size as a modification to your insurance company which is reason enough to stay with the OE size.

2018-02-27 - Shouldn't this tire be labeled as "Ultra High Performance" and not "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Sport 3? The Pilot Sport 4 S is the "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Super Sport.

It's an interesting question. The Pilot Sport 4 is the direct replacement of the Pilot Sport 3, but Michelin moved the game on so much with regards to sporty handling and feel of the tyre it deserves to be in the higher category.

2018-03-17 - Hi, for a Honda Civic 1.8 petrol 2010 tyres 225/40/R18 Y XL would Michelin PS4 or Pirelli PZero PZ4 give best ride comfort? I know Goodyear Asmm. 3 offer good ride but currently I have Potenza S001 at front PS3 rear so concerned about softer sidewall of Goodyears. Many thanks.

I've not tested them back to back so I'm unsure which would be more comfortable, but if I had to guess based on experience I would say the P Zero PZ4 would be slightly more comfortable than the Pilot Sport 4.

2018-05-07 - Hello. My Audi A4 Quattro needs only Front Tyres at the moment. I would like to fit Pilot Sport 4. Do you think these will behave ok with the standard fit Hankook Ventus S1evo2 that are on the back? Thanks

Both tyres are produced within the allowable size guidelines so technically they should work fine together, however it might be worth checking owners forums to be sure.

2018-06-15 - Hi guys! I am using this tyre (Pilot Sport 4) on a Hyundai Genesis Coupe also equipped with B14 Bilstein coilovers... I have 225/40/19 front and 245/40/19 rear... BUT I still haven’t found a proper pressure tyre to set, in order to feel a good feedback and feeling from the car... I feel it not coumicative, and on the fast straight I find a little vagueness in the center if I move left/right of few cm on the steering (with pressure at 2.3 bar) What di you recommend??

Sadly the PS4 is a little vague due to the higher levels of comfort. I can't recommend anything specific, but a small amount of over inflation can help with steering response.

2018-07-31 - I really want PS4"S" for my 18inch E46 M3. BUT they are only 19 inch at the moment right? So given I want decent performance on track, do I go Cup2 or would these non "S" PS4's be ok?

Good news, subscribe to our youtube channel and hit the bell icon as in the next 2 weeks we have a PS4 vs PS4S vs Cup 2 video :)

2018-09-05 - Hey there. I own a '06 Mercedes E550. I just bought a set of lighter 18'' rims and next summer, I want to fit new 245/40 tyres. I only drive 4000kms in the summer, rarely spirited, so wear is not a concern. Yet I demand a good steering response and light weight to make for a more nimble feel of the car. I think I wanna go with the PS4, yet I think about the Falken 510 also. In the past, I regretted fitting mid range tyres. But due to the low miles, and the good test, I feel like giving the 510s a try. Yet I fear that they will be overwhelmed by the weight of the car and the V8 on the front axle. Would you recommend just going with the PS4 or could the 510s be an option?

I'm not sure either the PS4 or FK510 will be the answer to your question, both have quite soft sidewalls. If steering precision is your drive above all else, something like the Vredestein Vorti R might be a good tyre to look into.

2018-10-29 - I going to replace my Jaguer XF3.0 tyre, previously I tried Pzero and Pilot Super sport. could you please comment if I change to PS4 (no S), I'm not an aggressive driver, want maintain the sport feeling but a little more comfort and silent...

The PS4 won't feel as sporty as the Pilot Super Sport, but will certainly more comfortable and quieter and it has excellent wet grip, so would be a good choice for your Jag.

2019-03-18 - Hello! I'm about to replace the Michelin Energy tires on my VW Golf5. I'd like to extract more sportiness and feel out of the car while retaining a solid and safe daily driver with nice comfort and low noise. Aiming for the Pilot Sport 4 or the PremiumContact 6. The Golf is not a sports car but since i dont wear tyres too fast, the price premium is not that much considering the relative small 205/55 R16 size, so both fits within my budget. Which one would you think suit me (or the car) better? I heard a few complaints about the PS4-s behaving jelly-like when pushed. Im aware that a road tyre in this size, no matter the brand, wont give the kind of feedback as a smaller sidewall variant with a bigger wheel would, so that behaviour might still be the same with a PC6-s in the same size. Whats your take on this? Thank you in advance, and keep up the great content!

The differences between the Pilot Sport 4 and PremiumContact 6 are now so small both tyres will be an excellent option if available in your size.

2019-05-05 - I am driving 2008 Audi A5 1.8 TFSI 170 FWD and I can't decide whether to go for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 245/40 ZR18 (93Y) or Michelin Pilot Sport 4 245/40 ZR18 93Y AO. Would there be any differences? May AO tire be "outdated" in 2019? What is your recommendation?

Generally with OE marked tyres it's recommended to go with the correct version where possible as this will have been tuned to work with the vehicle suspension etc. The PS4 isn't old enough to worry about the AO version being out of date.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 77% while driving a BMW 218d Active Tourer (225/50 R17) on for 3,000 average miles
Very well designed for dry and wet grip
0 - tyre reviewed on August 16, 2019
Given 25% while driving a Mitsubishi Lancer EX 2.0 MIVEC (MAN) (235/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 350 spirited miles
very dissapointing the car now feels unstable at high speed turn in is very poor with no feel floating sensation from steering not what i expected from Michelin ps4 sport can only compare these to cheap budget tyres certainly no better . poor
0 - tyre reviewed on August 12, 2019
Given 73% while driving a BMW 130i M (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 12,000 spirited miles
Fitted these 225/40 R18 all round, replacing the runflats (Goodyear nct5) shortly after buying the car. Anything was an improvement on those, which were harsh! The runflats were also surprisingly (on many an occasion..) low on grip, very eager to break traction at the rear which was kinda fun but sadly also the front, understeering like crazy at times, which was disappointing on a RWD car..
The Michelins offered a HUGE increase in grip - in the dry but most notably in the wet when there really was an astonishing level of grip. Very confidence inspiring, enabling controlled high speed cornering and hard braking in dry and wet conditions. Which brings me to the only negative.
I don't often drive slow, but the wear rate has been simply appalling. The 12000 miles I have covered applies to the fronts which are finished, but the rears were gone after 5000! I then changed the rears for 235/40 R18 and they have fared slightly better and were noticeably grippier again on this car - they did 7000miles but now need changing again.
I should just slow down I guess but I expected more from Michelin, who are supposedly known to be more durable if you believe their advertising. But driving style has no doubt been a big factor, so YMMV.
I haven't had any other (non-rft) on this car so perhaps it just eats tyres? The runflats weren't on long enough to appraise the wear rate, as I got rid as soon as possible (the rears were near dead when I got it so I took the opportunity to put 4 real tyres on. Plus, my fitter would not fit non-runflat to one axle with runflats still on the other, probably for the best as the handling , I had to agree, would be interesting.
Even with the wear issue I may still buy another set as they really were excellent otherwise, but right now I'm changing these for Pirelli PZero PZ4.
0 - tyre reviewed on August 11, 2019
Given 87% while driving a Subaru Legacy 2.0GT Spec B (225/40 R18) on a combination of roads for 200 average miles
I am coming from usibg Neuton NT5000 (was good) to Bridgestone RE003 (had better grip) to this. And it feels like a totally different car. Grip is phenomenal from stand still to taking corners. Braking has improved a lot too. Can't speak for the wear as I have only had it for less than 1000km. Will update this review aa the tyre ages.
5 - tyre reviewed on August 2, 2019