Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 74 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 241,914 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 EVO Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Positive - Excellent in both subjective and objective testing. Best all round package on test.
  • Negative - None mentioned.

2017 Auto Bild UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Positive - Very good handling on dry and wet surfaces, precise steering response, good feedback and short braking distances in all conditions. High level of comfort
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Exemplary / Test Winner

2017 Sport Auto UHP and Track Day Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good steering feedback, stable behavior, excellent grip and very short braking on wet surfaces + short stopping distance on dry
  • Negative - Slightly high levels of noise
  • Overall - Particularly recommended
245/40 R17 95Y XL   C A 71
225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

2017-04-05 - I have a mazda mx 5 . Is this tyre too good for this car . ? Is it quiet and comfortable ?

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is both quiet and comfortable. There are quieter tyres on the market however you would lose some sporty feel, which is important on a car like the MX5.

2017-08-17 - I am driving 2013 BMW 330D Xdrive with dimensions 225/45/R18 and I cant decide is it better to purchase Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Premium Contact 6??? It is very hard to find those two tyres in comparison in this dimensions! I am looking only for the best tyre!

This test should answer your questions. Pilot Sport 4 in 1st place, Premium Contact 6 in 3rd, using your size.

2017-09-06 - Hi there, I have an e39 M5.. usually use Michelin Super Sports which are priced the same as the PS4.. I have 18" wheels to PS4s isn't available in my size.. Which is a better tyre the Super Sport or the standard PS4 (no s)...

In 99% of cases, the newer PS4 is the better tyre. The PSS has the edge in dry grip, feedback and track day work, but if you're using the tyre on the road you won't be disappointed with the PS4.

2017-11-14 - BMW 318i with Contipremiumcontact 2, im looking to get some new tires didn't mind how these handled although they had slight under steer in wet if pushed im looking at PS4 and the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance only problem is the PS4 dont come in the current size on the car and the Goodyears do. My question is would there be a benefit coming down from 225/50/16 to 205/55/16 so i can fit these tires are they really that much better in the wet/dry/ect... that the loss of with wont matter

Without specific testing it is too difficult to answer properly, however it's worth noting you will have to declare the new tyre size as a modification to your insurance company which is reason enough to stay with the OE size.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Laguna 3 (225/45 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 10,000 miles
strongly recommend
0 - tyre reviewed on November 6, 2017
Given 69% (breakdown) while driving a Vauxhall Insignia 2.0 CDTi SE sport (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Bought these to replace Uniroyal RS 3 tyres (the RS 3 are great but 1 look very odd on the vehicle see the review one side looks back to front and 2 wear wearing quickly just managed to get 12 moths out of them and only 10K miles) - These tyres feel marginally sharper in the corners and well designed... However the wear rate is unbelievable I put these on in July this year 2017 and by now November 2017 they are down to the wear marker after on 6K miles - at £175 each I was expecting a bit more life - going to try conti PS 6 now... these tyres whilst feeling good on the car, wear faster than my bank balance can stand!
0 - tyre reviewed on November 6, 2017
Given 96% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat Estate 2.0 TDI (170) (235/45 R18) on a combination of roads for 25,000 spirited miles
Best tyres I ever had. Im on my second set and never gonna buy different.Car perform the same doesn't matter is dry or wet.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 21, 2017
Given 58% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 135i (225/45 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 1,200 spirited miles
Having run on PSS for last 2 years, I was looking for a better all round tyre as I found that in the wet the PSS would struggle for grip near the limit. Having read reviews on the PS4 having improved wet grip, I thought I would try them. 2 months in and I can state that whilst they are a very competent tyre, they are not a performance tyre in comparison to the PSS. At high speed I can only describe them as unstable where the car starts to weave, mainly after lifting off. They do not inspire confidence on roads with even the slightest of camber which most A and B roads have. Overall, for the majority will find the PS4 a very good tyre for all conditions with good levels of grip. But for driving at 8/9 tenths, I'll be reverting back to the PSS.
5 - tyre reviewed on October 17, 2017