Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 102 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 907,538 miles driven.

Reports

2018 Auto Review 225/45 R17 Tyre Test - 1st of 11 tyres

2018 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 11 tyres

• Positive - A very balanced tyre with excellent dry and wet braking.
  • Negative - None mentioned.
  • Overall - Highly recommended.

2018 Test World Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 16 tyres

• Positive - Short braking distances in the dry and wet, excellent handling in all conditions, excellent balance during emergency maneuvers, excellent feedback in all conditions.
  • Negative - Relatively high rolling resistance.
245/40 R17 95Y XL   C A 71
225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

2017-04-05 - I have a mazda mx 5 . Is this tyre too good for this car . ? Is it quiet and comfortable ?

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is both quiet and comfortable. There are quieter tyres on the market however you would lose some sporty feel, which is important on a car like the MX5.

2017-08-17 - I am driving 2013 BMW 330D Xdrive with dimensions 225/45/R18 and I cant decide is it better to purchase Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Premium Contact 6??? It is very hard to find those two tyres in comparison in this dimensions! I am looking only for the best tyre!

This test should answer your questions. Pilot Sport 4 in 1st place, Premium Contact 6 in 3rd, using your size.

2017-09-06 - Hi there, I have an e39 M5.. usually use Michelin Super Sports which are priced the same as the PS4.. I have 18" wheels to PS4s isn't available in my size.. Which is a better tyre the Super Sport or the standard PS4 (no s)...

In 99% of cases, the newer PS4 is the better tyre. The PSS has the edge in dry grip, feedback and track day work, but if you're using the tyre on the road you won't be disappointed with the PS4.

2017-11-14 - BMW 318i with Contipremiumcontact 2, im looking to get some new tires didn't mind how these handled although they had slight under steer in wet if pushed im looking at PS4 and the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance only problem is the PS4 dont come in the current size on the car and the Goodyears do. My question is would there be a benefit coming down from 225/50/16 to 205/55/16 so i can fit these tires are they really that much better in the wet/dry/ect... that the loss of with wont matter

Without specific testing it is too difficult to answer properly, however it's worth noting you will have to declare the new tyre size as a modification to your insurance company which is reason enough to stay with the OE size.

2018-02-27 - Shouldn't this tire be labeled as "Ultra High Performance" and not "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Sport 3? The Pilot Sport 4 S is the "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Super Sport.

It's an interesting question. The Pilot Sport 4 is the direct replacement of the Pilot Sport 3, but Michelin moved the game on so much with regards to sporty handling and feel of the tyre it deserves to be in the higher category.

2018-03-17 - Hi, for a Honda Civic 1.8 petrol 2010 tyres 225/40/R18 Y XL would Michelin PS4 or Pirelli PZero PZ4 give best ride comfort? I know Goodyear Asmm. 3 offer good ride but currently I have Potenza S001 at front PS3 rear so concerned about softer sidewall of Goodyears. Many thanks.

I've not tested them back to back so I'm unsure which would be more comfortable, but if I had to guess based on experience I would say the P Zero PZ4 would be slightly more comfortable than the Pilot Sport 4.

2018-05-07 - Hello. My Audi A4 Quattro needs only Front Tyres at the moment. I would like to fit Pilot Sport 4. Do you think these will behave ok with the standard fit Hankook Ventus S1evo2 that are on the back? Thanks

Both tyres are produced within the allowable size guidelines so technically they should work fine together, however it might be worth checking owners forums to be sure.

2018-06-15 - Hi guys! I am using this tyre (Pilot Sport 4) on a Hyundai Genesis Coupe also equipped with B14 Bilstein coilovers... I have 225/40/19 front and 245/40/19 rear... BUT I still haven’t found a proper pressure tyre to set, in order to feel a good feedback and feeling from the car... I feel it not coumicative, and on the fast straight I find a little vagueness in the center if I move left/right of few cm on the steering (with pressure at 2.3 bar) What di you recommend??

Sadly the PS4 is a little vague due to the higher levels of comfort. I can't recommend anything specific, but a small amount of over inflation can help with steering response.

2018-07-31 - I really want PS4"S" for my 18inch E46 M3. BUT they are only 19 inch at the moment right? So given I want decent performance on track, do I go Cup2 or would these non "S" PS4's be ok?

Good news, subscribe to our youtube channel and hit the bell icon as in the next 2 weeks we have a PS4 vs PS4S vs Cup 2 video :)

2018-09-05 - Hey there. I own a '06 Mercedes E550. I just bought a set of lighter 18'' rims and next summer, I want to fit new 245/40 tyres. I only drive 4000kms in the summer, rarely spirited, so wear is not a concern. Yet I demand a good steering response and light weight to make for a more nimble feel of the car. I think I wanna go with the PS4, yet I think about the Falken 510 also. In the past, I regretted fitting mid range tyres. But due to the low miles, and the good test, I feel like giving the 510s a try. Yet I fear that they will be overwhelmed by the weight of the car and the V8 on the front axle. Would you recommend just going with the PS4 or could the 510s be an option?

I'm not sure either the PS4 or FK510 will be the answer to your question, both have quite soft sidewalls. If steering precision is your drive above all else, something like the Vredestein Vorti R might be a good tyre to look into.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 94% while driving a Lexus IS250SE (225/45 R17) on mostly town for 16,404 average miles
Currently used for 26400km, left with 4mm can able to go for another 10000km.
Performance and road holding still good!
0 - tyre reviewed on October 22, 2018
Given 89% while driving a Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 8,000 spirited miles
Well, 2.5 years later im back to finish my review.
I will keep it short and sweet, 1st set performed wonderfully in every area, as per the professional reviews, except wear. With spirited driving i managed 8k miles out of my rear set, not great when i was getting 10-12k from the conti cs5 s before them. I must be right about the less 'rubber on the road' that i initially noticed. I also found they wore heavily in the center despite correct tyre pressures being used.

I then ran a second set, and found that they lasted even less time, with arguably gentler driving.

I was all round impressed except the wear, and when paying £140+ per corner, this was a let down. Maybe tyre manufacturers are reaching the limits of performance possibility?

I have since fitted goodyear ays 3's to the rear. Worryingly they have even wider grooves, but seem to be lasting much longer than the ps4s. The wet traction is noticably worse (but not by much) but at nearly £40 a corner cheaper i would rather suffer this, save a lot of money and have the tyres last longer.

I have also just gone through front 225/40/18 PS4s. Again, the performance is unmatched, but they have worn quickly, notably more quickly than the PSS i had fitted before, and have suffered severe shoulder wear - they certainly felt like the sidewalls were not as stiff as previous tyres I've used. I have regularly checked the pressures are correct. Shame.

Although with shopping around the PS4's are only £10 a cormer more than the goodyear ays 3 and conti 6, im tempted to go for the contis next in the hope they wear better/last longer. Too many reviews say the ays 3's perform poorly in the wet braking/aquaplane test for me to go for those on the front. (Shame, the ays 2's were great!)

0 - tyre reviewed on October 17, 2018
Trying to pick a winter wheel and tyre size? Watch this video!
Given 70% while driving a Renault Megane RS265 (235/40 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 14,000 average miles
My RS 265 (with Cup pack) came with Michelin PS2 tyres fitted. these managed to last a respectable 21k miles (including some rotating) before they really dropped off a cliff, and with around 3mm tread depth left I opted to change them out.

having previoulsy sworn by Kumho KU31 tyres, and struggled to get these, I opted for a set of Michelin PS4 instead, thinking it would retian the same road holding and feel of the car. To a point the tyres do, but athey really arent brilliant in the wet and are a great drop down from the PS2's taht came with the car originally.

at the cost I paid, and only having had 14k miles out a set, they are now at 3mm and have experienced the same dramatic fall off in grip as the PS2 had - which suggests that I really need to change them now, lots of tramlining especially in the wet, and as I live in Scotland, thats pretty much all year round.

these tyres havent been pushed too hard, most driving is on a motorway - which is generally in traffic at 30mph!!! :), with maybe 2-3k miles on country roads.

overall I am very disappointed, had they lasted another 6k miles, I probably would replace with a newer set - but I wont buy these again. wear too fast, grip drops dramatically when at around 50% tread depth left - I am off to find an alternative.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 2, 2018
Given 89% while driving a Toyota Celica VVTLi (205/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 20 spirited miles
I have just bought a set of 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres to replace the two I have had on the front driven wheels now for the last 17 months. Moving from Avon ZZ5s which I had found to be a very good all round tyre, and were still fitted to the rear of the car, these were my findings based on daily spirited drives on twisty dual carriageway and country lanes.

My first impression based on appearance alone was that these were quality tyres and a step up from the Avons. On driving, what struck me most about these tyres is their sporty feel and sharp turn in. For the first couple of days I actually had to modify my steering a fraction at times to avoid oversteer. It noticeably enhanced the cars' handling with only a fractionally harder ride. The next thing that struck me was the noise. It is not excessive by any means, but these tyres do produce a little more road noise than the ZZ5s. A minor point also, but worth mentioning is that, where a road has been recently re-surfaced, they also pick up significantly more grit. I discovered this whilst driving two different cars over the same stretch of road over the course of a week.

In terms of grip the car has always felt very sure-footed in both the dry and the wet whether braking, accelerating or cornering at speed. It should be noted however that this is not always the case on Winter roads. Where there is damp salt residue on the roads often long after a gritting episode, the tyres can lose grip quite readily. Loss of grip has been momentary however with the tyres quickly regaining their composure.

Other than that the Pilot Sport 4s have performed impeccably for almost 20,000 miles. Now, with about 1 mm to go to the wear indicators there has been a sudden tendency to tram lining and it is clear it is time to renew. I think the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 suits the Celica down to ground and I am looking forward to the new set being fitted.
1 - tyre reviewed on September 14, 2018