Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 48 tyre reviews averaging 91% over 105,013 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Excellent handling on dry and wet surfaces, precise steering response and predictable behavior under all conditions
  • Negative - Poor resistance to lateral hydroplaning
  • Overall - Highly recommended

2017 Sport Auto UHP and Track Day Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good steering feedback, stable behavior, excellent grip and very short braking on wet surfaces + short stopping distance on dry
  • Negative - Slightly high levels of noise
  • Overall - Particularly recommended

2016 Auto Express Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 95% (breakdown) while driving a MINI Cooper S Works (205/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 500 spirited miles
My 2008 MINI Cooper S JCW had Dunlop RF Tyres when I purchased it, leading it to feel like Bambi on ice, wet or dry.

Having used Pilot Sport 4's before on a 270bhp VW Golf, these were the only tyre I had in mind for my MINI.

Dependable and confidence inspiring, in all conditions - I'd certainly recommend these anyone.

Spend a little more and be safe in the knowledge you have one of the best tyres produced.

8 - tyre reviewed on March 11, 2017
Given 70% (breakdown) while driving a Volvo s60 D5 (163) (225/45 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 10,000 average miles
Coming from Dunlop SportMaxx RT, decided to give a try to the latest Michelin Pilot Sport (4). The Dunlop's only lasted for about 20000km. Confortable tyre, but not that sporty feeling, and it doesn't last... at all...

So, as I wanted a sports tyre, with a decent mileage, I went to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (treadwear 320), as per advise on my tyres garage.

As the tyres where bedding in, I starded to feel increase in vibration. Re-calibrated wheels quite a few times, until we started noticing the tyres wheres deforming, and had to take them off...

90% of my driving is on motorway at legal speed (120km/h).

The tyres actually seem to be very confortable, with high levels of grip, bot wet and dry, but I was not expecting the deforming, from a Michelin Tyre. I think that the wear would be fine also, but could not rate for sure, because they where only used in cold/rainy weather.

15 - tyre reviewed on February 22, 2017
Given 91% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz 220 cdi advantgarde (245/45 R17 W) on mostly town for 250 easy going miles
I have had these tyres for only three weeks max. Running on a Mercedese E220 diesel saloon car, automatic and back wheel drive. After a lot of research I choose these. There is not much difference between this tyre and other premium tyres. I took the leap of faith and had these installed at the rear of the car. It was a immediate difference and noticed a quick acceleration. A good brake response in the dry. In the wet once took a right turn from stationary position and it skidded a bit. It is big heavy car so difficult to judge on local roads. Then the real test came on the motor way, stable fast acceleration, put the car in sport mode and it went past other cars, had to slow down. On the front I have bridge stone and soon they will be coming off. I have only done about 250 miles yet, so cannot comment on wear. Otherwise so far happy with them. The real test will come when the front two gets installed as how the car then behaves. I can clearly feel the difference between bridgestone and PS4. PS4 are quite, handles well and gives quick response when required. The other are not. Very happy with these so far. Will post again when done a few thousand miles.
2 - tyre reviewed on February 17, 2017
Given 66% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf GTI (225/45 R17 W) on mostly town for 300 average miles
Had these on my mk5 Golf GTI for a couple of weeks before changing back to Conti Sport Contact 5s.

The PS4s were simply outstanding for steering feel and precision and wet grip. However, I couldn't live with their very sharp ride and intrusive high-pitched whining. The CSC5s are probably at 95+% of the PS4s good attributes(steering, wet grip), but with a more forgiving ride and less noise.
35 - tyre reviewed on February 9, 2017