Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 67 tyre reviews averaging 89% over 172,413 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 EVO Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Positive - Excellent in both subjective and objective testing. Best all round package on test.
  • Negative - None mentioned.

2017 Auto Bild UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Positive - Very good handling on dry and wet surfaces, precise steering response, good feedback and short braking distances in all conditions. High level of comfort
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Exemplary / Test Winner

2017 Sport Auto UHP and Track Day Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good steering feedback, stable behavior, excellent grip and very short braking on wet surfaces + short stopping distance on dry
  • Negative - Slightly high levels of noise
  • Overall - Particularly recommended
245/40 R17 95Y XL   C A 71
225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

2017-04-05 - I have a mazda mx 5 . Is this tyre too good for this car . ? Is it quiet and comfortable ?

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is both quiet and comfortable. There are quieter tyres on the market however you would lose some sporty feel, which is important on a car like the MX5.

2017-08-17 - I am driving 2013 BMW 330D Xdrive with dimensions 225/45/R18 and I cant decide is it better to purchase Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Premium Contact 6??? It is very hard to find those two tyres in comparison in this dimensions! I am looking only for the best tyre!

This test should answer your questions. Pilot Sport 4 in 1st place, Premium Contact 6 in 3rd, using your size.

2017-09-06 - Hi there, I have an e39 M5.. usually use Michelin Super Sports which are priced the same as the PS4.. I have 18" wheels to PS4s isn't available in my size.. Which is a better tyre the Super Sport or the standard PS4 (no s)...

In 99% of cases, the newer PS4 is the better tyre. The PSS has the edge in dry grip, feedback and track day work, but if you're using the tyre on the road you won't be disappointed with the PS4.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a (225/45 R17) on for 0 miles
awesome tyres. much better than my old tyres Falken453
0 - tyre reviewed on September 17, 2017
(225/45 R17) on for 0 miles
Car feels light on its feet and really agile. Very aggressive turn in and point n turn even when applying the brakes entering a corner. Stopping distance wet and dry superb. Could be a bit better mid corner when it feels a bit soft under heavy load and responds a bit slower. Good fuel consumption. Stable on high speeds.
0 - tyre reviewed on September 13, 2017
Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Camry (215/55 R17) on mostly motorways for 1,000 spirited miles
Recently, the time had come to change my PS3 as they had worn down to about the tread wear indicator. Got around 55,000KM on the set. Perhaps could have got a few more '000 KM out of them, but I drive long distance weekly and realize there are better ways to stretch my money. Anyway, my replacement set is the PS4 and I've since driven around 1000KM on them. Mileage is mostly on NSE highway and I auto cruise at around 130KMH. Initially after replacement, I felt there was slightly more grip around corners and better control. However, fuel consumption reading dropped around 5% from the 12.5KM/L I was seeing before the change. Recently, the reading is back to same as before. So my theory is that the tyre performs differently when being broken in (and opinions of new tyres which are written after brief tests should be read with much skepticism). Cabin noise is slightly less, but could be due to this being a new set of tyres. My old PS3 performed well in the dry and wet, and am expecting the same with the PS4 - will update this review in the future if I find it is not the case. I drive fairly aggressively with my 2.5L Camry and would not hesitate to recommend the PS4 tyres to anyone with a similar driving style.
2 - tyre reviewed on September 13, 2017
Alfa Romeo Giulietta (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
These tyres have transformed my 2012 Giulietta 2.0 JTD-m which previously had a floaty, unsettled and rough ride. That was primarily caused by the cheap tyres the previous owner had installed on the car. However, these are wearing far better then the Continental ContiSport 3's I had on my last car (Saab 9-3) and that was the main thing I was shopping for. In comparison these tyres have fantastic grip especially during the wet and are fairly quite by my standards. I would buy these tyres again but fingers-crossed not for a long time.
0 - tyre reviewed on August 23, 2017