Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 41 tyre reviews averaging 93% over 91,563 miles driven.

Reports

225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 91% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf MK5 GT 170 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 250 spirited miles
These tires are awesome!They changed tottaly the feeling of the steer.the car became safer more accurate while steering.brake on dry roads (with bad quality) is immediate responsive!negative:they absorb very well small imperfections of the road but on larger ones they transmit the impact badly.very little driven on wet roads but i felt like they are like in the dry.Excellent tyre i would definitely buy it again
The tyres before them were goodyear assymetric 2 and in comparison is day and night in favour of PS4 of course.Have a Happy new year from Greece.
8 - tyre reviewed on December 29, 2016
Given 88% (breakdown) while driving a Audi TT RS (255/35 R19 W) on a combination of roads for 150 spirited miles
This is an initial review after enough mileage to be able to comment.

The MPS4 replaced MPSS which had replace the MPS2 prior some years back. The MPS2 had replaced a set of Pirelli tyres that lasted or of 8k miles and the MPS2 lasted over 20k miles and had served me well. MPS4 also lasted over 20k miles and I was going for another MPSS however the shop only had two in stock though plenty of MPS4 in the 255/35/19 96Y that I needed. Price was 'OK', sure....I could have got them 'cheaper' if I had shopped around however I was in need so was happy to pay.
First impression walking up to the car is the smell of these new MPS4...very pleasant and more so than I remember new tyres smelling...grabbed my attention for sure. Glad the thread pattern looked like they could go to work...if you know what I mean ;). These may be minor details however that is the sort of things I look out for on new changes. OS before I even got in to the car he tires had already impressed.

I had driven the 50 miles on a wet dull looking British morning to the shop using the motorway so was looking forward to the journey back on B-roads. The car felt good as always on the way there...planted; sure-footed though as the tyres were getting close to end of life the ride had got firmer - which is to be expected.

2nd impression of MPS4 after driving all of 500 meters to a set of light is the comfort...gone were the sharp edges...replaced with a softened thud. So noise level was down and comfort was apparent - again new tyres so that was expected. What I did not expect however was wet road grip on new tyres. I usually take it easy for the best part of 50 miles and past tyre changeover had been nice dry days...however today it was wet on the roads and the confidence form the car made it easier to be a little bit more liberal with the throttle. Grip in the wet was immediately impressive...sure, MPSS was great in the wet however I do not recall them being this good when new. That was the journey home and I was very pleased with the change.

Next day I checked cod tyre pressures and reset these to what I prefer - they had been set 4PSI higher at the shop. The change in PSI helped with comfort further and wet or dry tarmac handling was still surefooted.

Few days later i decided to really test these tyres out and in the wet you can safely move along with confidence. On a dry day the tyres get sticky...judging by the debris pricked up and grip is great...only criticism is that the softer riding now means I either increase rear tyre pressures to get a firmer ride which I like for spirited driving or engage the firmer suspension mode. In fact , I will be upgrading my springs to a firmer set that I usually keep for track days however with MPS4 riding this comfortable, I suspect a stiffer set of rear springs would be just fine.

I will report back after track session and a few more miles. I also note that the MPS4 S is due next year...would wait on feedback before looking in to those if indeed there is much of a benefit but for now the MPS4 are great change to form MPSS.
7 - tyre reviewed on December 28, 2016
Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 320D M Sport (255/35 R18 W) on mostly motorways for 13 spirited miles
Well this is the second review of these tyres as promised. Without a doubt the best tyre I have ever purchased. I have driven for 13k since I replaced my rears and they are down to 7mm (nice even wear). I can't believe after 13k they have only worn down 1mm.
Yes I do drive 95% + motorway as I live close but I certainly don't wait around. Wet & Dry grip is just amazing, seriously cannot rate this tyre enough. Only negative point is the price, they are rather expensive but if they last then it's true economy. Will write a third review when I replace the rears to report final millage figure, maybe in a few years at this wear rate :)
15 - tyre reviewed on November 20, 2016
Given 86% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz 190 2.3 16 (255/35 R18 V) on mostly motorways for 20,000 spirited miles
I live in Scotland where the weather quite often is wet but I found these tyres to cope very well on my car, a hint more understeer when pushed hard than I found on the standard fit Continental Sport contact 5 MO tires when the car was new, thw continentals last 16000miles!!
Campare with the pilot sport 3 I had fitted in 2014/2015 they are about equal.
My car being RWD and producing 170hp and 400nm of torque, 225/40/18 on the front and 255/35/18 on the rear.

The only time i find a rear tire lossing grip yet only briefly is when turning out of a junction quick with a good push on the throttle but this ia juat doqn to the weight coming of a rear wheel when the car leans, straight line acceleration in the wet with my foot flat from a standing start is excellent though with only a smalles flicker of the traction control yet no severe power reduction to the rear wheels.

These are the best tyre ive had yet for Aquaplaning resistance even on a soaked motorway with lots of surface water at 70mph, and on british roads this is a bonus, they work very well here.
Dry breaking is excellent to say the least.
They are comfortable if a little more noisy on the move than I'd have hoped, the continentals fairing alittle quieter I think but being on a par with my previous Pilot Sport 3's.
Wear rate on these is MUCH superior to the orginal continentals I had originally.
16000miles vs 25000+ miles on the mitchelins 3's.
But I think the pilot sport 3's lasted longer than I will get out of the pilot sport 4's.

Winter weather = forget it, winter tires are a MUST!!

They might cost a bomb compare to economy/bueget tires but the extra safety and comfort of premium branded tyres well outways the cheap coast of in other words, crap economy tires.

Go for mitchelins and your on one of the best handling, safest and overall value for wear rate that money can buy.
8 - tyre reviewed on November 6, 2016