Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 52 tyre reviews averaging 90% over 117,713 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 Auto Bild UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Positive - Very good handling on dry and wet surfaces, precise steering response, good feedback and short braking distances in all conditions. High level of comfort
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Exemplary / Test Winner

2017 Sport Auto UHP and Track Day Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good steering feedback, stable behavior, excellent grip and very short braking on wet surfaces + short stopping distance on dry
  • Negative - Slightly high levels of noise
  • Overall - Particularly recommended

2017 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Excellent handling on dry and wet surfaces, precise steering response and predictable behavior under all conditions
  • Negative - Poor resistance to lateral hydroplaning
  • Overall - Highly recommended
245/40 R17 95Y XL   C A 71
225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

2017-04-05 - I have a mazda mx 5 . Is this tyre too good for this car . ? Is it quiet and comfortable ?

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is both quiet and comfortable. There are quieter tyres on the market however you would lose some sporty feel, which is important on a car like the MX5.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 59% (breakdown) while driving a Ford FG Falcon XR6 Turbo (245/40 R19 W) on mostly town for 6,200 spirited miles
I fell for the hype and changed to these after using Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my last 3 sets.
The Pilot Sport 4:
Grip the same,
Are alot more quiet,
Are more comfortabele,
Has a much softer sidewall,
Are rubbish at hard cornering or any aggressive driving,
Has next to no feedback,
Seem to wear slightly better,
Overall they feel like you're driving on really sticky gym balls, even when pumped up to 48psi.
Will definately be going back to the Pilot Super Sport.
5 - tyre reviewed on May 11, 2017
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Polo 6R 1.6 (205/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 5,000 average miles
Superb grip on dry or wet. Previosly using Bridgestone RE003 195/55/15. Change the 17 inch rim and decide to use PS4 (205/45/17). Previous tyre were lousy on wet condition.

Only the noise level is higher than RE003 but i can cope with it as it is low profile tyre

As the tyre are low profile, dont expect the comfort level to be compared with high profile tyre. But still i can cope with that

As per now, still can't confirm on wear rate as just using it for 5000 miles. Will review it after it reach 50% of threadwear.
4 - tyre reviewed on May 6, 2017
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (255/35 R19 W) on mostly town for 1,000 spirited miles
Ok, so I purchased these to replace the winter tyres I had fitted on my a6 c6 3.0 tdi quattro. In terms of grip, I must admit these ps4's are supreme, manouvering between cars on the motorway feels incredibly safe and secure. The feedback and road handling is beyond words...you simply wont be able to loose traction with these tyres, whatever you do - they are literally glued on and give you that feeling of driving as on the rails both in wet and dry. They're soft tyres in terms of compound and ungortunately aren't as quiet as I would wish them to be, although in this size any tyre would struggle with noise... fuel consumption hasn't improved over my winter set which I hoped for. Can't really tell much about wear because its only been about a thousznd miles since I've got them however looking at the thread shows minimal - they do in fact look more like a race tyre in terms of thread and behaves as such. I had a chance to compare these in the workshop to other tyres like dunlop sport maxx rt2 which I also aimed for. Dunlop however had very thin walls in comparison to these, I mean so thing that when I dug my finger in it I was shocked, almost paperlike. These michelins have thicker walls although fairly flexible. The rubber on dunlops felt cheaper too. I also compared them to pirelli p zero which was my main target, however it's ratings put me off a bit - I was told and noticed in the workshop however that pirelli tyre in terms of build is supreme to other brands - they have the thickest sidewalls and never suffer from damage to their constructio, although they are superior in terms of build quality... that also impacts their noise and road feedback being the tougher compound and more complex thread. So there it is guys...hope this helped some of you and I'll post an update about the wear of this ps4 in few months however my audi has aquattro which eats through any tyres like mad so... good luck
8 - tyre reviewed on April 16, 2017
Given 95% (breakdown) while driving a MINI Cooper S Works (205/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 500 spirited miles
My 2008 MINI Cooper S JCW had Dunlop RF Tyres when I purchased it, leading it to feel like Bambi on ice, wet or dry.

Having used Pilot Sport 4's before on a 270bhp VW Golf, these were the only tyre I had in mind for my MINI.

Dependable and confidence inspiring, in all conditions - I'd certainly recommend these anyone.

Spend a little more and be safe in the knowledge you have one of the best tyres produced.

20 - tyre reviewed on March 11, 2017