Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 97 tyre reviews averaging 88% over 469,114 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2018 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 11 tyres

• Positive - A very balanced tyre with excellent dry and wet braking.
  • Negative - None mentioned.
  • Overall - Highly recommended.

2018 Test World Summer Tyre Test - 1st of 16 tyres

• Positive - Short braking distances in the dry and wet, excellent handling in all conditions, excellent balance during emergency maneuvers, excellent feedback in all conditions.
  • Negative - Relatively high rolling resistance.

2018 AZ Summer AND All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Overall - A leading performance in both the dry and wet ensured the Pilot Sport 4 wins the test convincingly, despite having a right rolling resistance.
245/40 R17 95Y XL   C A 71
225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

2017-04-05 - I have a mazda mx 5 . Is this tyre too good for this car . ? Is it quiet and comfortable ?

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is both quiet and comfortable. There are quieter tyres on the market however you would lose some sporty feel, which is important on a car like the MX5.

2017-08-17 - I am driving 2013 BMW 330D Xdrive with dimensions 225/45/R18 and I cant decide is it better to purchase Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Continental Premium Contact 6??? It is very hard to find those two tyres in comparison in this dimensions! I am looking only for the best tyre!

This test should answer your questions. Pilot Sport 4 in 1st place, Premium Contact 6 in 3rd, using your size.

2017-09-06 - Hi there, I have an e39 M5.. usually use Michelin Super Sports which are priced the same as the PS4.. I have 18" wheels to PS4s isn't available in my size.. Which is a better tyre the Super Sport or the standard PS4 (no s)...

In 99% of cases, the newer PS4 is the better tyre. The PSS has the edge in dry grip, feedback and track day work, but if you're using the tyre on the road you won't be disappointed with the PS4.

2017-11-14 - BMW 318i with Contipremiumcontact 2, im looking to get some new tires didn't mind how these handled although they had slight under steer in wet if pushed im looking at PS4 and the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance only problem is the PS4 dont come in the current size on the car and the Goodyears do. My question is would there be a benefit coming down from 225/50/16 to 205/55/16 so i can fit these tires are they really that much better in the wet/dry/ect... that the loss of with wont matter

Without specific testing it is too difficult to answer properly, however it's worth noting you will have to declare the new tyre size as a modification to your insurance company which is reason enough to stay with the OE size.

2018-02-27 - Shouldn't this tire be labeled as "Ultra High Performance" and not "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Sport 3? The Pilot Sport 4 S is the "Max Performance" as it is the direct replacement for the Pilot Super Sport.

It's an interesting question. The Pilot Sport 4 is the direct replacement of the Pilot Sport 3, but Michelin moved the game on so much with regards to sporty handling and feel of the tyre it deserves to be in the higher category.

2018-03-17 - Hi, for a Honda Civic 1.8 petrol 2010 tyres 225/40/R18 Y XL would Michelin PS4 or Pirelli PZero PZ4 give best ride comfort? I know Goodyear Asmm. 3 offer good ride but currently I have Potenza S001 at front PS3 rear so concerned about softer sidewall of Goodyears. Many thanks.

I've not tested them back to back so I'm unsure which would be more comfortable, but if I had to guess based on experience I would say the P Zero PZ4 would be slightly more comfortable than the Pilot Sport 4.

2018-05-07 - Hello. My Audi A4 Quattro needs only Front Tyres at the moment. I would like to fit Pilot Sport 4. Do you think these will behave ok with the standard fit Hankook Ventus S1evo2 that are on the back? Thanks

Both tyres are produced within the allowable size guidelines so technically they should work fine together, however it might be worth checking owners forums to be sure.

2018-06-15 - Hi guys! I am using this tyre (Pilot Sport 4) on a Hyundai Genesis Coupe also equipped with B14 Bilstein coilovers... I have 225/40/19 front and 245/40/19 rear... BUT I still haven’t found a proper pressure tyre to set, in order to feel a good feedback and feeling from the car... I feel it not coumicative, and on the fast straight I find a little vagueness in the center if I move left/right of few cm on the steering (with pressure at 2.3 bar) What di you recommend??

Sadly the PS4 is a little vague due to the higher levels of comfort. I can't recommend anything specific, but a small amount of over inflation can help with steering response.

2018-07-31 - I really want PS4"S" for my 18inch E46 M3. BUT they are only 19 inch at the moment right? So given I want decent performance on track, do I go Cup2 or would these non "S" PS4's be ok?

Good news, subscribe to our youtube channel and hit the bell icon as in the next 2 weeks we have a PS4 vs PS4S vs Cup 2 video :)

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Focus MK3 (235/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 14,000 spirited miles
I’ve had PS3’s before and when I changed my tires last year I decided to put the newer PS4’s on for the first time. All the things I loved about the 3’s remain. The quick response. Excellent grip and braking in both wet and dry. I simply don’t slow down for corners like I used to pre PS3 or 4s.

The confidence these tyres give you is excellent. The cabin noiise is about the same as my PS3s and in comparison to the Nexens I had fitted when I purchased my car they are night and day. So much quieter.

Wear is as you would expect. Very average. I have put 14k on my first set of PS4 on my front tyres. I’ve got approx 3mm left on them so I have switched them to the back and fitting 2 more on the front. I expect I will get 17-18k out of a set. Maybe 20k if I drive a little more smoothly.

The fuel economy is marginally better on the 4’s over the 3’s but honestly you don’t buy arguably the best summer sports tyre if you want to save fuel.

All round an excellent tyre. No hesitation in recommending them for any car.
1 - tyre reviewed on July 27, 2018
Given 79% (breakdown) while driving a (245/45 R19) on mostly country roads for 15,000 spirited miles
In brief - these tyres have better grip than the OEM Primacy 3s that the Tesla came with and I would buy them again over the Primacy 3s for that reason. I may be tempted to try a different set for comparison purposes, but I would not buy Primacy 3s.

Wear - I've driven these about 15k miles so far (1-2mm legal wear left), and expect to get another 3-5k miles off of them. It's hard to compare to the Primacy 3s as the car/tyres were not new when I got them, so whilst they lasted about 23k in total I don't know if that's due to the previous owners driving style compared to mine, or the tyres. I do employ the full 420bhp of the electric engines, I do drive "spirited" around country road corners, and I do enjoy utilising the 4.4s 0-62 split. Given all of that, I think 18-20k miles isn't too bad.

Grip - Always hard to distinguish between the car and the tyre, but the tyres handle better now than the old Primacy's did at the same stage in their life. The Tesla tends to understeer and that's still true of course, but I can go a little bit more aggressively around a corner before that annoying tendency appears!
4 - tyre reviewed on July 12, 2018
Looking for the fastest tyres for your car? Watch this video!
Given 51% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 530dA M Sports E39 (235/45 R17 W) on mostly motorways for 19,000 average miles
Had them at the front in a E39 5 series and dry handling was reasonable but they always had that slight loss of grip for a fraction and then the grip came. However this behavior ruined the driving experience.

In wet they progressively lose grip. At this range of tyres i'd expect better.

Wear they are pretty weak. The front of a E39 is heavy and the shape of the tyre isn't flat if you look at them in line with you. Since they have less rubber on the sides, combined with the heavy front, the rubber on the sided went pretty quickly even though i checked the tyre pressure every other week.

With all this said, i'll neved buy this model again. Primacy HP are much better overall and they supposedly are inferior.
3 - tyre reviewed on July 11, 2018
Given 94% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf 6 GTI (225/40 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 6,000 spirited miles
Really good tyre. Dry grip great as expected, weat grip amazing. Very happy with small wear.
9 - tyre reviewed on July 2, 2018
Given 70% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz SLK 200 (225/45 R17 W) on mostly country roads for 100 spirited miles
Tried the Pilot Sport 4 back to back with the Michelin Primacy 4, i.e. all tires were brand new and I compared the same car on the same day with both models of tires.

In all respects I'd the Primacy 4 tires are the best tires I've tried so far and much better than the Continenal PremiumContact I had earlier.

The main problem with Pilot Sport 4 are that they feel very hard. The road feedback is good, but it's a hard and unpleasant ride compared to Primacy 4.
14 - tyre reviewed on June 27, 2018