Michelin Pilot Sport 4

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a Max Performance Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 PS3

Tyre review data from 61 tyre reviews averaging 89% over 162,213 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 Auto Bild UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 9 tyres

• Positive - Very good handling on dry and wet surfaces, precise steering response, good feedback and short braking distances in all conditions. High level of comfort
  • Negative - None mentioned
  • Overall - Exemplary / Test Winner

2017 Sport Auto UHP and Track Day Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Good steering feedback, stable behavior, excellent grip and very short braking on wet surfaces + short stopping distance on dry
  • Negative - Slightly high levels of noise
  • Overall - Particularly recommended

2017 AMS Summer UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Excellent handling on dry and wet surfaces, precise steering response and predictable behavior under all conditions
  • Negative - Poor resistance to lateral hydroplaning
  • Overall - Highly recommended
245/40 R17 95Y XL   C A 71
225/45 R18 95Y XL   C A 71
245/45 R18 100Y XL   C A 71
255/35 R19 96Y XL   C A 71

Questions and Answers for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4

2016-06-21 - I have a Nissan Leaf (electric). The fuel economy is important to me. How does the fuel economy of the Pilot Sport 4 compare with the original factory fitted Bridgestone Ecopia

The OE Ecopia tyre is a dedicated low rolling resistance tyre, whereas the Pilot Sport 4 is a sport tyre with low rolling resistance. While they've not been tested together, we would expect the Bridgestone to have the slight edge in rolling resistance, but the PS4 to have vastly better wet grip. You can also check the EU rolling resistance label score in your size to give you a better idea.

2016-05-21 - Are the pilot sport ok for a lotus evora 2009 na?

Assuming you can get the correct tyre size, there's no reason the Pilot Sport 4 wouldn't be a great tyre on a light car like the Evora. If you're coming from a more dry / track focused tyre, you might find you lose some steering feel with the Pilot Sport 4, but gain comfort.

2016-08-08 - Which is the country origin of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 , 245/45/17 ?

Here is the response from Michelin:
Pilot Sport 4 is made in Germany, France, Spain and Italy (in that order predominantly) but may be the odd ones from other plants.
We never have a definitive list size by size, because our quality structures are the same country to country, plant to plant and in most cases the compounds and carcass materials come from the same plants and are "assembled".
We know from testing we've done, we don't have the big differences with identical tyres made in different plants that some manufacturers have.

2016-10-13 - I am about to change my tyres on my merc E220. I have opted for the reviews on the Michelin Pilot sport 4 but cannot find a 225/50/R17 /98W or Y. Is it available and from where?

It doesn't look like a 225/50 R17 Pilot Sport 4 is available yet. More sizes are being produced all the time.

2017-04-05 - I have a mazda mx 5 . Is this tyre too good for this car . ? Is it quiet and comfortable ?

Yes, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is both quiet and comfortable. There are quieter tyres on the market however you would lose some sporty feel, which is important on a car like the MX5.

Top Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Review

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Blutec (255/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 100 spirited miles
First opinions on new Pilot Sport 4

I have today (11/01/16) received some of the first available Pilot Sport 4's in the UK. They are to replace my worn out Goodyear Eagle ASY 2's on the rear of my GAD Tuned C250 Cdi.

I will review again in a few weeks when I have had chance to thoroughly try the tyre out, however my initial observations are as follows:

Aesthetic appeal: They look good and sit well on the rims, a pleasant development over the PS3, both in tread pattern and sidewall appearance, without being 'over the top'.

Cost: For my size I paid £145 per corner delivered from mytyres, however tyreloader(?) have them currently at £135. As they are new on the market I expected to pay a premium, and I anticipate as they become more established the price will come down in the coming months.

Other: They have a good size/width kerbing protection ring which is welcome, especially as they did not state they had one in the sellers description. A must for expensive alloys!

Potential downsides are that when measured from new I have gotten a reading of 7.2mm tread depth, as opposed to the 8mm once seen from new on sport tyres. This seems to be a growing trend as the Hankooks and Bridgestones I have used on my other cars in recent months have also been supplied with 7mm from new as opposed to the 8mm expected.
I have also noticed that the grooves (in my size at least) seem wider than the PS3's I have used in the past. Whereas I am sure that the performance of this tyre on our British roads esp. in the wet will excel, I am concerned about the longevity of this tyre and its potential wear rate as simply there is less rubber contacting the road. Lets hope the compound will make up for it! I have found on my other cars that these wider grooves and lesser tread depth is causing my tyres to need to be changed much more often than their predecessors (under much the same driving conditions and mileages), so despite the marketing bluff about increased longevity, I am sceptical.

I will re-review when I have had chance to get some miles done on these tyres.
4294967295 - tyre reviewed on January 11, 2016

Latest Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Reviews

Have you driven on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Pilot Sport 4.

Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Innova (215/55 R17) on a combination of roads for 3,000 spirited miles
Very good grip and handling in both dry and wet roads.
0 - tyre reviewed on July 25, 2017
Given 69% (breakdown) while driving a BMW E39 M5 (275/35 R18 W) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
I had Michelin PSS all round but they stopped making them in 275/35/18 for the rear.
The only option wanting to stay Michelin and close to PSS was to get the PS4,sadly they are everything to comfort,refinement ,grip that the PSS are to handling,feedback,precision.
They have totally taken the playfulness out of my cars handling,and it just feels numb and vague.

Michelin stated the PS4 was very close to the PSS but it's nowhere near as a performance tyre.

0 - tyre reviewed on July 21, 2017
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a Subaru Forester sti (225/45 R18 W) on mostly country roads for 2,500 spirited miles
Mixed feelings on these, whilst braking and grip's not bad wet and dry and the wear is very good, steering feedback is not the best, and they don't inspire as much confidence as my previous rubber (Nokian Z-lines). I put some of this down to the rather narrower tread width (180 vs 200mm), and also the sidewalls aren't the stiffest. In short they're a very competent tyre, but if you have sporting pretensions and want to enjoy your driving , check out other options first. Also they don't seem to be overly tough, I've lost 2 to kerbs/potholes in 2500 miles :-( , whilst that could be just bad luck, similar calamities in the past haven't resulted in tyre failure.
1 - tyre reviewed on July 13, 2017
Given 95% (breakdown) while driving a Audi Audi A5 S Line 1.8 TFSI (255/35 R19 W) on mostly motorways for 1,000 average miles
I bought these PS4's because they have won several recent car magazine group tests and I wanted a set of up-to-date tyres that were capable in wet conditions.

My previous tyres were OEM Pirelli P-Zeros, it's not easy to tell what version they were because they don't have an obvious version number moulded into them like the PS4's.

The car rides better over surface imperfections, softening them out and giving an impressively comfortable ride compared to the P-Zeros.

Previously the car tramlined on roads where grooves had been worn into the road by traffic, it was enough to be slightly wearing on longer trips. The PS4's have reduced tramlining significantly, the car is very stable with barely any steering input necessary to keep the car where you want it to be. I can now sweep satisfyingly through corners with a single predictable steering input.

There is more grip, the front tyres do not scrub and understeer until much higher forces have built up. They feel as if they have a softer compound although I wouldn't bet on that actually being the case though as Michelin claim to have used some interesting technology in these tyres to balance grip with long life.

The fuel economy has dipped by about 2-4 mpg on motorway journeys, where I spend most of my time. I was getting 46-49 mpg on my commute but now I'm getting 44-45 mpg. I can't be sure about why that might be.

In terms of noise I'd say they are no quieter than the P-Zeros, however when riding over surface imperfections such as potholes and speed bumps these tyres have a soft, rubbery sound, whereas the P-Zeros sounded harsh, giving off a sharp thump. The softer sound compliments the improved ride quality.

I have driven the car in torrential rain on the motorway with a lot of standing water and these tyres are immense. The car stays true to its line, it resists aquaplaning far beyond expectations, braking is good and handling is extremely stable and predictable. Despite this tyre's other impressive qualities its capabilities in the wet are its best feature.
0 - tyre reviewed on July 13, 2017
Given 78% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz CLA 180 AMG Line (225/40 R18) on mostly town for 0 average miles
Just fitted the tyres to my car 3 days ago and last two days rain heavily. The grip for both dry and wet road is equally positive as tyre still very new. However I expected the noise to be better. Handling wise, steering being lighter, I am happy with the response and suspension seems to be more comfortable. As for wear, I'll get back with feedback a year later, still fresh. I am surprise the tyre depth being new is not as deep as the other brands(sorry will not mention the other brand's name out of respect).
5 - tyre reviewed on July 1, 2017