Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen 1

The Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen 1 is a Ultra High Performance Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance 2

Tyre review data from 12 tyre reviews averaging 90% over 104,590 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 Sport Auto Winter Tyre Test - 1st of 10 tyres

• Positive - Excellent grip and very good handling on wet surfaces, balanced and reliable behavior in the snow, balanced handling on dry roads
  • Negative - Slow steering response in the dry

2017 Auto Bild SUV Winter Tyre Test - 1st of 11 tyres

• Positive - Very good results on snow, High resistance to aquaplaning, Very high grip on wet surfaces, High level of comfort, Precise steering on dry surfaces
  • Negative - Slightly high noise level, expensive
  • Overall - Test winner

2016 AutoBild Winter UHP Tyre Test - 1st of 8 tyres

• Positive - Excellent balanced winter tyre. Safe handling on snow and wet roads, lowest rolling resistance.
  • Negative - None mentioned.
  • Overall - Test winner.
Sorry, we don't currently have any label data for the Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen 1
Sorry, we don't currently have any questions and answers for the Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen 1. Why not submit a question to our tyre experts using the form below!

Top Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen 1 Review

Given 81% (breakdown) while driving a Ford Focus MK3 (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
Running 215 width tyres on 16" rims.

Dry grip good but lacks a bit of feedback. Wet grip superb. Got my first go on snow with them this morning with 3 inches of wet snow on the ground and they shone. On slush it's like the slush isn't there. On snow there's a bit of wheelspin unless you are gentle with the clutch (mine is an auto so it's a bit tricky persuading the car to be gentle!). However it's the stopping power of these tyres on the snow I was very impressed with. Yes they slide (but not very much!) if you jam the brake pedal to the floor but braking normally with a bit of caution it's not far off driving on a snow free road. Going round corners and up hills the car felt planted to the road and any sideways wiggle was easily corrected. I've got a heavy diesel engine up front helping with traction too.

They are very soft sidewalls and were a bit squishy at first but an extra 3 psi above normal and the handling was improved.

They run quietly and and are very comfortable too. Would definitely recommend.
20 - tyre reviewed on March 4, 2016

Latest Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen 1 Reviews

Have you driven on the Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen 1 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the UltraGrip Performance Gen 1.

Given 81% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 320D (225/45 R17) on mostly country roads for 1,500 average miles
I bought these on steel wheels for my wife's BMW 320D Hardtop Cabriolet. In East Sussex we've had no real snow this year but plenty of cold wet weather. In the rain and wet these tyres are superb and there have been no problems at all with a few patches of ice. I struggled (in play) to get the wheels to slip at all on large sheets of white ice. By contrast,I am running Continental Wintercontacts on my BMW X3. They are good but these Goodyears are far better in really wet conditions. There is no sign of aquaplaning or any movement at all. Sheets of water over the road are easily dispersed without barely any pull on the steering.

At first they seemed a little soft so I recommend going a few PSI on the high side of their rating, whereupon they feel firm and planted. Fuel economy is surprisingly good and braking and handling give enormous confidence in cold/wet conditions. I'll be interested to try them in snow as the ADAC test rated them rather average in snow yet the Bild test rated them very highly. My gut feeling, from all other indications, is they will be a very competent tyre in the snow. These tyres and matching steel wheels have turned a posing summer car into a very competent winter sports car. I can't wait for snow covered roads with a bright sunny day, cruising with the roof down.
1 - tyre reviewed on January 23, 2018
Given 81% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A3 (225/45 R17 W) on a combination of roads for 16,500 average miles
For my experience I find these tyres very comfortable, I can slightly hear the difference between summer tyres. Furthermore I never noticed any difference in fuel consumption. The road feedback it's ok but not the best. They thend to oversteer on cornering. For my experience wet grip is good as the tyre have no more than two/three years, especially on cornering but I find this a common behaviour in all winter tyres. The wear is uniform, I suppose I may use these tyres for another 16000 miles. Definitely they're good tyres.
Would I buy them again? Yes if snow period is long. The last two years snowed just a couple of times so I'm more oriented to an allseason tyre for the future.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 17, 2018
Given 83% (breakdown) while driving a Kia Motors ceed (225/45 R17 V) on a combination of roads for 12,000 spirited miles
Had these on a Kia Ceed SW 2013 all year and not much wear .
The side walls do flex a bit if you push into the corners too hard in the dry, but actually the fuel consumption is great, wet road and snow handling is fantastic. I usually swap summer/winter so I'm used to the differences between the two types of tyres but really with all the rain in the UK why bother as these give much more confidence in the wet.
0 - tyre reviewed on October 30, 2017
Given 91% (breakdown) while driving a BMW X1 X Drive (225/55 R17 V) on mostly motorways for 10,000 average miles
My only problem with these tyres (on a BMW F48 X1 M-Sport) is the excessive noise. Speed related and it completely overwhelms the radio at 50mph. Otherwise a great improvement on the original show-off 19" wheels
3 - tyre reviewed on September 16, 2017

See all 12 customer reviews of the Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen 1 (newest first) >>