Vredestein Quatrac 5

Vredestein Quatrac 5

The Vredestein Quatrac 5 is a High Performance All Season tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Vredestein Quatrac 3

Tyre review data from 6 tyre reviews averaging 83% over 41,900 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2015 Auto Bild SUV All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 6 tyres

• Positive - Excellent results in the snow, good results on wet and dry surfaces, very low rolling resistance
  • Negative - High resistance to aquaplaning, relatively high price

2016 ADAC All Season Tyre Test - 2nd of 7 tyres

• Positive - Relatively low fuel consumption
  • Negative - Weak in the dry and wet, slightly weak on snow

2015 Auto Express All Season Tyre Test - 3rd of 6 tyres

• Overall - The Vredestein Quatrac range is one of the better known all season tyre ranges in the UK, and the Quatrac 5 builds on the excellent base of the Quatrac 3. A win in the dry handling test (but still beaten by the summer tyre) and second in dry braking and rolling resistance were the stand out results for the Vredestein, but a strong mid pack performance in the wet and snow tests resulted in a third place overall. Weak in aquaplaning, losing both tests and a long way back in the curved test.
175/65 R13 80T
235/40 R18 95Y XL
235/60 R18 107W XL
255/55 R19 111W XL

Questions and Answers for the Vredestein Quatrac 5

2016-04-07 - Thx for the reply! Very helpfull, always difficult how to interpret data. I'll have a look at the Nokian. I'm from The Netherlands, so no heavy snow conditions or lots off ice. And while I do understand that an all season tire is a compromis, I think its the best way to go. Any thought on that? Thx again!

Here in the UK climate we feel the CrossClimate is the best compromise as we see very little snow. The CrossClimate is the only all season tyre we've tested which doesn't have a braking disadvantage over summer tyres in the dry. See our All Season Tyre Test for further information.

2016-04-07 - I see in different test these tires preform bad with aquaplanning? How good or bad are they in the wet? (Looking for an all season tie in size 195/60 R16, not a lot to chose from) Thx!

While we've no direct experience with the Quatrac 5, they wouldn't be a test winner if they were bad in the wet. Aquaplaning is one of those tests we feel perhaps the magazines put too much weight on, as while aquaplaning can be serious, less than 1% of all accidents across Europe are caused by standing water. The Nokian WeatherProof is also available in your size, which is certainly worth considering.

Top Vredestein Quatrac 5 Review

Given 87% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf MK6 1.6 tdi (225/45 R17) on a combination of roads for 18,000 spirited miles
Thought I would try the new all season Quatrac 5 as I live 400 metres up in the valleys of Wales and drive sometimes a 1000 miles a week all over the UK. In the wet, snow and icy conditions these are unbeatable and stop the car better than any expensive top end brands on the market. About 80 per cent as good as the best summer brands in hot dry conditions and I only managed to skid the car slightly on heavy braking on dusty dry roads when driving very fast, then again what tyres won't slide slightly in these condiditions. I have done over 18'000 miles on these since January in all conditions, I just swapped the back tyres to the front and reckon I will get at least another 18 thousand out of them so great value for money too. I won't be carrying two sets of tyres for summer and winter again. They are also quiet and extremely good on rolling resistance so on a tank of fuel I gain around 40-60 miles more for my money. I won't be buying anything else again and have tried all the best makes over the years!
23 - tyre reviewed on July 10, 2015

Latest Vredestein Quatrac 5 Reviews

Have you driven on the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the Quatrac 5.

23 - tyre reviewed on July 10, 2015
Given 89% (breakdown) while driving a Skoda Octavia (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 5,000 spirited miles
I had a set fitted in January, and the next day it snowed. They were much better than summer tyres, especially in traction and braking. In 'normal' British cold weather they were excellent, with positive turn in and a high level of grip. Quite sporty, in fact. We've now had some warmer weather, and they do not soften excessively, though they can be prone to squealing on a smooth dry road. In warm wet weather they remain superb. Altogether they provide positive response and reassuring consistency in all conditions. The icing on the cake is their refinement. Road roar on course surfaces (to which the Octavia is very prone) is considerably reduced, and they provide a well cushioned ride over cats eyes, grates etc. Fuel consumption seems as good as I got with Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, but the Quatrac 5 gives a much better drive. Wear is a little disappointing, but replacement cost is not excessive.
2 - tyre reviewed on June 20, 2015
Given 81% (breakdown) while driving a Renault Megane Sports Tourer (205/55 R16 H) on mostly country roads for 7,400 average miles
Bought the Quatrac 5's for a new Megane estate having fitted the Seat Leon with Goodyear Vector 4Seasons and thought I'd have a bit of a comparison. So far I've had warm sunny weather, the UK autumn and wet winter with the added bonus of ice and snow.

The tyre noise is not noticeable in the cabin - just like any other tyre I've had and isn't intrusive. I've done 7400 miles so far and they are wearing well - I'm not worried about having to replace them at 10k or 12k. I haven't had any issues with the heat in the summer in the UK or the wet roads - no slips or loss of traction but I'm not flinging it around corners generally.

Recent icy and snowy weather only left me with wheels spinning a little once pulling away from a junction uphill leading to the traction control kicking in (icy junction not gritted). On the snow-covered A68 I was able to pass stranded cars and trucks on a steep uphill S-bend section, even having to stop midway to let a car pass coming downhill. The tyres slipped a little bearing in mind they aren't full winter tyres, but had little problem starting off again on the steep section without having to wheelspin and rev the engine greatly to get up the hill.

I will definitely consider these tyres again and when it comes to replacing the current ones, and they seemed to work better on the ice than the 4Seasons fitted to the Leon (though I didn't drive that car much in the bad conditions). For general UK use I would recommend the Quatrac 5's.
1 - tyre reviewed on March 21, 2015
Given 71% (breakdown) while driving a BMW 323i 1997 (205/55 R16 V) on a combination of roads for 1,000 average miles
These tyres give a lovely comfortable quiet drive. Felt a bit soft after initial fitting but improved after a number of miles. In mild conditions the car feels as though the back wants to break away, but it doesn't. In the cold conditions of this January the tyres felt firmer and handled better. I don't think these tyres are for the boy racers though. Have yet to try them in summer conditions as have only completed 1000 miles in them so also cannot comment on wear rate.To sum up, these tyres are fine if you are a sensible driver and they give a very comfortable quiet ride
3 - tyre reviewed on February 10, 2015
Given 79% (breakdown) while driving a Alfa Romeo (205/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 10,000 spirited miles
The quatrac 5 is substantialy better than its predecessor, the quatrac 3.
It performs the same/ little better, but it's less noisy and more wear resistant.
5 - tyre reviewed on January 5, 2015