Continental WinterContact TS 860

The Continental WinterContact TS 860 is a Premium Touring Winter tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Car

This tyre replaced the Continental WinterContact TS 850

Tyre review data from 15 tyre reviews averaging 95% over 98,130 miles driven.

Reports

Tyre Test Highlights

2017 Auto Bild Winter Tyre Test - 1st of 21 tyres

• Positive - Test winner. Excellent performance in all weather conditions, direct steering response and strong handling in the snow and on dry roads.
  • Negative - Average mileage.
  • Overall - Exemplary.

2017 ADAC Winter Tyre Test - 195/65 R15 - 1st of 16 tyres

• Positive - Very well-balanced, top marks in the wet, especially good on snow. Good on dry roads and low fuel consumption
  • Negative - None mentioned

2017 Auto Express Winter Tyre Test - 1st of 8 tyres

• Overall - The winner of the 2016 Auto Express winter tyre test wins again. Not the strongest tyre on snow, but close enough, the WinterContact TS860 once again shone in the wet, winning all three wet grip tests, and scored extremely well in the dry handling and dry braking tests. The only weakness, a mid group aquaplaning result.
185/60 R14 82T   C B 71 6.95kgs
215/55 R16 93H   C B 72 9.43kgs
225/45 R17 91H   E B 72
225/50 R17 98V XL   E B 72 10.36kgs

Questions and Answers for the Continental WinterContact TS 860

2016-10-30 - is this an RFT (Run Flat Tire) ?

There are currently no runflat sizes of the TS860, however there are 5 planned runflat sizes due for introduction in winter 2017.

2017-10-10 - How noisy are the tyres?

The Continental WinterContact TS 860 was recently tested by Auto Bild and found to have mid-pack noise characteristics, but still quieter than the summer tyre on test.

Top Continental WinterContact TS 860 Review

Given 100% (breakdown) while driving a Audi A4 2.0 TDi 170 S Line (215/55 R16 H) on a combination of roads for 1,000 spirited miles
went on this tire after Michelin PA3 and I was amazed at how this tire is better in all aspects then my previous Michelin PA3 tires!
141 - tyre reviewed on October 12, 2016

Latest Continental WinterContact TS 860 Reviews

Have you driven on the Continental WinterContact TS 860 tyre?

Please help millions of other drivers make an informed tyre choice and pick the correct tyres for their car by submitting your review of the WinterContact TS 860.

Audi (195/65 R15) on a combination of roads for 2,000 average miles
for my tyresize, 195/65r15, the prices of budget vs premium tyres didnt differ to much. A full set of these cost me about €200,- as opposed to something like €150,- for a B-brand tyre. Also, from seeing the test results, these just seemed like the best tyre money could buy at the time of purchasing.

Dry grip: When i went from a 225/40/r18 section UHP summer tyre to these winter tyres, I didnt expect much in terms of dry grip. However, scince those summertyres were the absolutely dreadfull Ovation VI-388's, the dry grip on these was about equal to the ovations, which was astonishing to me. I still can get wheelspin on agressive acceleration though, but this is only when i do an all out launch, and it is very minimal. For a winter tyre, the dry grip is amazing.

Wet grip: After breaking in the tyres, I decided to test the wet grip a bit. I made a few emergency stops to test the ABS interference, but there wasnt any. Considering i have 280mm (11") disks at the front on a 1100kg car, I was quite impressed with this. On hard acceleration however, the tyres do light up. This for me, drops the scrore to "only" an eight, but scince they are so safe during braking, i still find these tyres great in the rain.

Handling: Running about 2.3 bars of presure on the fronts, and 2.5 in the rears, these actually handle quite well. Ofcourse you cant expect a 15" wintertyre to handle like a low profile uhp summer tyre, but flex from the sidewalls is not bad and corneringgrip seems good. All in all, for a winter tyre, these are quite enjoyable to throw around.

Wear: I can't yet comment much on the wear, scince ive only done about 2000 miles on these. However, the small little groofs on the surface of the threadblocks is still mostly there, suggesting to me they have worn maybe about 0.3 to 0.5mm over 2000 miles. This would give them an expected lifespan of about 25.000 to 40.000 miles, which is inline with some test results. All in all, the wear seems quite good.

Comfort: This has been amazing for me. My car has been lowered by about 5cm which should result in a jarring harsh ride. However, these tyres absorb the bumps and behave great at motorway speeds, requiering little ajustments. Also, they are very quiet, being near to inaudible leaving only the wind noise to be heard. This has transformed my car from a bouncy hot hatch into a comfortable motorway mile muncher (considering its a A3 and 19 years old that is ofcourse)

All things considered, i'm amazed by these tyres, from the grip they offer in both wet and dry, to the handling, and most of all the comfort. Definite buy again for me!
1 - tyre reviewed on January 17, 2018
Given 99% (breakdown) while driving a Hyundai i20 (185/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 2,180 average miles
This is my initial review for this tire coming close to the end of the winter season. So far I have driven it on dry, wet and icy roads, bit of snow at some places. The tires feel comfortable and safe in all of these conditions. I had to do an emergency brake on dry and it felt almost like the summer tire. It only feels a slight wobbling, when in tight corners or when suddenly turning the steering wheel, compared to the sumer tires which are stiffer. It's barely noticeable though and I recon its due to the tire thread which is deeper compared to the summer tire. So far I'm very pleased with these tires and I hope they will last for a couple of more winter seasons.
0 - tyre reviewed on January 8, 2018
Given 90% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf 1.9 Tdi (195/65 R15 T) on a combination of roads for 600 average miles
I have these tyres for 1 week and I will talk about my first impressions. I drive Golf MK5 1.9 tdi. My tyres are 03534870000 195/65R15 91T WinterContact TS 860.
So far I drove 1000km on dry, wet and snowy roads. Tyres perform excellent on all road conditions. Especially on snow, it grips on snow like no other winter tyre. It has ton of grip on snow, you feel extremely safe.
Driving on dry road is also safe, there is no under steer like many other winter tyres tend to do.
Grip on wet road is also excellent.
The tyres and comfortable, and noise level is very low.
I have no idea how long they will last or if they will behave this good during the next few seasons.
1 - tyre reviewed on December 17, 2017
Skoda Rapid TSI (185/60 R15) on mostly motorways for 55,000 easy going miles
Amazing tyre, did 5.5k km this winter, drove in all kind of conditions, dry-wet-snow and the results were excellent, especially on snow I have no words, roads full of snow and the control, handling of the car were on an excellent level, I was able to see the difference with other cars, a friend of mine has the same car with different types and on the same conditions his grip was a lot worst, tyre excells in snowy cold conditions and is a 10 for me.
Excellent grip also in snowy-wet conditions.
No issues on dry on also but I do not recall an emergency situation were I had to break hard.
Not any significant wear, seems it will last me 4 winters.

NEGATIVES:
More noisy than I was expecting.
Average fuel consumption but not bad.
15 - tyre reviewed on July 20, 2017

See all 15 customer reviews of the Continental WinterContact TS 860 (newest first) >>