Goodyear EfficientGrip

Progressiveness 55%
Goodyear EfficientGrip

The Goodyear EfficientGrip is a Premium Touring Summer tyre designed to be fitted to Passenger Cars.

This tyre replaced the Goodyear Excellence

This tyre has been replaced by the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance

Tyre review data from 89 tyre reviews averaging 64% over 952,181 miles driven.

195/65 R15 £35.30 - £52.30 (34 prices) Compare Prices >>
205/55 R16 £46.60 - £72.80 (52 prices) Compare Prices >>
225/45 R17 £67.10 - £105.74 (9 prices) Compare Prices >>
225/40 R18 £96.33 - £96.33 (1 prices) Compare Prices >>

Goodyear EfficientGrip Reviews

Given 49% (breakdown) while driving a Audi Audi A4 1.9 Tdi 130 Sport (235-45-17-W)
Driving on mostly country roads for 16,500 easy going miles
Managed 16500 miles on front pair of Goodyear Efficients, with 2mm remaining. No better than my previous budget tyres (Events) which managed 16000 miles with 2mm remaining. On an Audi A4 2004 tdi saloon, with steady driving, no speeding, so not sure how good the Goodyears are on the limit. But they are twice the price of budget tyres, and marketed as a long lasting tyre, would not buy these again.
tyre reviewed on February 4, 2016
Given 10% (breakdown) while driving a Toyota Prius (195-55-16-)
Can't really comment on grip as I'm driving a prius (automatic and hybrid) and it's fairly difficult to make it spin or anything. They feel as good as any other tyres. However, wear is really a joke. I don't think they'll make much more than 12k miles...
tyre reviewed on January 10, 2016
Given 47% (breakdown) while driving a MG 6 (215-50-17-)
Driving on mostly town for 3,000 average miles
one of the worst tyre i have seen. i changed it after 12000 km.tyre grip in wet surfaces was so scary. and the car was so noisy. after changing the tyre i recognized how bad the tyre was.
tyre reviewed on December 31, 2015
Given 50% (breakdown) while driving a Mercedes Benz C220 CDI Blue Eff. (225-50-17-W)
Driving on mostly town for 3 average miles
Tried them on the rear to replace damaged Conti sport contact 5s. Absolutely horrendous levels of grip, particularly on damp roads; lethal!. Only drove a few miles and had to swap them for available alternative (Michelin Primacy 3s - seem ok so far).
tyre reviewed on November 21, 2015
Given 77% (breakdown) while driving a SEAT Leon TDi SE 110 (225-45-17-)
Driving on a combination of roads for 20 average miles
This is an interesting one. I agree with some of the positives but also some of the negatives.
I have a fwd TDI and just wanted well priced tyres that would stick to the road in wet and dry conditions.
I used to run Goodrich G-Grip which I thought were pretty good (could get 30,000m out of a set). Changed to Goodyears and thought they were ok.

Positives
Good grip in wet and dry - feel sure footed and predictable
Very confident in standing water (low aquaplaning risk)
Fuel economy good (c.50 mpg)
Very predictable grip

Negatives
Poor wear rate - c.22,000 miles
Soft sidewalls so some `wobble` at speed on corners
More prone to punctures? I've had 2 in 3 months.

My driving has changed from main roads to more country lanes so it may be harsh to blame the tyre for punctures. Both were small nails.
The wear rate and more noticeably weaker side walls could be because I push the car a bit more on the country roads so again it's subjective.

There is the always the trade off of grip v's wear rate so you can't have everything.

Overall they aren't a bad tyre. I feel safe using them and if you are a commuter and not planning to push them too hard then they aren't a bad tyre. Maybe not the best for the more free-spirited dirver - but again, you get what you pay for!

I will probably change to something with a stronger side wall (might go back to the Goodrich if I can find them).
tyre reviewed on September 22, 2015
Given 54% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Tiguan (235-55-17-)
I bought these to try to reduce the boomy road noise of my Tiguan. The tyres that came off were nearly new Pirelli Scorpion Zeros. They had a noise rating of 71db. The Goodyear efficient grip's had a noise rating of 67db. I appreciate that this is an external drive by noise measurement however with a difference of 4db, I hoped that some of that would translate into reduced cabin noise. I opted for the non SUV tyres rather than the SUV one's owing to the latter having slightly harder shoulders and a 1db louder rating. Once the new tyres were fitted, I noticed no difference in noise level. Realising that subjectivity would skew results, I measured the interior noise level using a mobile phone app with the old tyres on and then with the new tyre I.e a before and after test on the same stretches of road and the same speeds. The results; the sound levels of the old and new tyres were identical! I feel a little bit cheated by Goodyear as they make a big thing about the efficient grip's quietness. So, lots of money spent for no improvement. Regarding ride and economy, these are no more comfortable or economical than the Pirelli Scorpion's they replaced.
I notice on this website that a lot of people say that the efficient grip is a wonderfully quiet tyre. All I can think of is that they are comparing the noise level with the well worn tyres that they are replacing. Tyres are much noisier when they are well worn than when they are new.
tyre reviewed on August 15, 2015
Given 64% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen 1.8 20vT Sport (205-55-16-)
Driving on mostly motorways for 30,000 average miles
Bought a full set of 4 for my Golf GTI because they were on offer....had read the review after I had bought them but before they were fitted. I was very close to NOT having them fitted because the sidewalls are so soft and have very little resistance (If any) to deforming under heavy conrnerin). I got them fitted and they were okay in general. Any sort of spirited driving and they are not good at all. I have got 30,000 miles from the front set (mostly motorway) had them replaced with LingLong Greenmax and its then I could tell how POOR the Goodyear's were. Apart from a good service life I wouldn't buy them again, poor road feedback and average grip. Efficient Grip yes....just that...efficient grip....
tyre reviewed on August 14, 2015
Given 70% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Golf mk6 GTD (225-45-17-)
cant comment on wear as only had for 4 weeks however had conties then verderstain and pirellis before and on my 184bhp front wheel drive Golf Covering 30k a year, they where the best tyre by far! Shocking I know but these really are good tyres.
tyre reviewed on August 9, 2015
Given 85% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat 1.9Tdi (225-45-17-)
Driving on mostly motorways for 4,000 easy going miles
Excellent tyre in all respects bar wear.

After c.4,000 miles tread is down to 3.5mm at the front!

This is on long journeys an no boy racer stupidity.

They're so good otherwise that I may buy them again when the fronts are illegal at c.7,000 miles.
tyre reviewed on August 5, 2015
Given 80% (breakdown) while driving a Volkswagen Passat 1.9Tdi (205-60-15-V)
Driving on mostly country roads for 2,000 average miles
I started with two of these tyres fitted to the front. They made an immediate impact, road noise is minimal, very comfortable ride and they grip extremely well, I've had only minimal aqua planning when going through puddles at speed. However, I got a puncture on the front right tyre after only a couple of weeks - a small thorn from some kind of bush had gone through the side wall, making a repair impossible. I then bought a replacement for the punctured one and two more so I had them fitted all round. Only two weeks in and I've just had another puncture - I ran over a sharp stone in the road !! I'm beginning to think these tyres are only suitable for motorway driving and not country roads.
tyre reviewed on July 22, 2015